Re: [WSTF] My view... [long]

From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@jtcsv.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:02:09 -0800
To: "Addison Phillips [wM]" <aphillips@webmethods.com>, "Paul Deuter" <PaulD@plumtree.com>, "Martin Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: <public-i18n-ws@w3.org>, <debasish@us.ibm.com>

I still don't see the need for the charset; and it adds more opportunity for
things to go wrong. In any even, if your POSIX implementation receives a
locale tag without a charset, it must have backup; the same happens if it
receives a locale tag with an unsupported combination, like en_US@SJIS.
Moreover, since the IANA charset name is non unambiguous, as we all know,
you have the issue of a locale id might be misidentified.

The charset is really an orthogonal attribute, with nothing to do with
cultural conventions.

Mark
________
mark.davis@jtcsv.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799