RE: Editor's Draft, Use Case Document Posted

At 13:30 02/11/19 -0800, Addison Phillips [wM] wrote:

>Section 2.4.2: This isn't actually locale sensitive data. The currency
>type is loosely linked to a locale in most cases (that is, the country in
>many locales implies a currency), but the relationship is locale->currency
>and it is 1:[0..n], not 1:1 or 1:n. That is, a locale may not imply ANY
>currency. In addition, a currency may not imply a locale either (the Euro
>and USD span several locales, and some currencies like BEF may imply more
>than one language and hence locale).

Thinking about this a bit more, I think we should try to have
examples for specific cases, such as currency, dates, numbers,...
separately, rather than putting them together. Each of these
cases is really quite different when looking at the issues in
our context. The currency almost always has to travel with
the number itself (but not necessarily the currency formatting
details). Date formatting is much more complex than simple number
formatting. Sorting may need to be done on the server even if
all the other localization stuff happens on the client side.

Regards,    Martin.