Re: Editor's Draft, Use Case Document Posted

Hello Kentaro and others,

At 09:26 02/11/19 -0800, Addison Phillips [wM] wrote:
>Kentaroh Noji has kindly contributed a first draft of the Use Case
>document, complete with several usage scenarios. This document is now
>posted on the website at:
>
>http://www.w3.org/International/ws/ws-i18n-scenarios-edit/

I would like to thank and congratulate Kentaro on this work,
I think this is an excellent base for the work of our task force.

I think there is a good chance that we will meet one of our
deadlines (from http://www.w3.org/2002/05/i18n-recharter/WG-charter.html):

November 2002     First version of use cases document (Working Draft)

>We will be discussing, expanding, and extending this document at the FTF
>meeting later this week. If you are not attending the meeting (or even if
>you are), please send your comments back to this list for discussion. We,
>of course, also welcome additional material.

See below for some comments.

>Feel free, also, to invite additional contributions by those not on the
>list, but who are interested in this topic.

In particular, feel free to invite other people to this list.

Now some comments on the document:

Overall: There are some spelling mistakes, but let's not worry about
    them at the moment, and leave it to the editor(s). [by the way,
    W3C has a nice spell checker, just add ",spell" to any URI on the
    W3C site]

Introduction: "This document follows SOAP V1.1": We should try to update
    this to SOAP V1.2 as soon as possible, because that's what W3C is
    working on. Kentaro, do you have any idea on how much work this might be?

2.3 Locale-Neutral Datatypes: This lists datatypes such as 'duration',
    and all those starting with 'g' as 'locale neutral'. It is true
    that in terms of formatting (an important concern with localization),
    these are locale-neutral. But on a different level, they are not at
    all locale-neutral.

2.4 Default currency: I think this is a good example to show some of
    the things that we will have to discuss in more detail. Making sure
    that the right currencies are transmitted is definitely crucial.
    But the proposal of having a 'default currency' header is in my
    opinion much too close to an actual specification (which we are
    currently not chartered to do), and doesn't currently have enough
    justification (e.g. saving bandwidth, simple interface with legacy
    implementation,..., I'm just guessing).

2.6 Locale Dependent Datatypes: I think this example should give
    more motivation and detailled examples of where transmitting
    locale-dependent representations is necessary (e.g. because
    using a locale-independent representation may loose information).

Hope this is enough food for further discussion.

Regards,     Martin.