Re: NNBSP display problem in MS Word and Browsers

On 15/05/2016 09:08, Greg Eck wrote:
> There are currently problems in display of NNBSP sequences in IE 11, IE
> Edge, Google Chrome, and Firefox on a Windows 10 platform as attached.
>
> *Can others provide details of similar display problems on other
> platform/applications? Please provide 1.) Platform 2.) Application and
> 3.) an image file of the display problem?*

i can't speak for Word, but looking at the browser pictures i think that
what's happening is the following.  You are typing mongolian text into a
field that has it's font set explicitly to Arial or Segoe UI.  Those
fonts don't contain any mongolian characters, so your browser is falling
back to an alternative font (don't know what that is in Chrome, but it's
STHeiti in Firefox for me), and that alternative font doesn't know how
to produce the correct shape.

If you use the inspector tool in Chrome or Firefox to change the font
for that input field to mongolian baiti, you see what you expected.

i also checked the following combinations using my mongolian picker
(https://r12a.github.io/pickers/mongolian/), and they all produced what
you expected to see.
- on Mac OS X, 10.11.4 El Capitan, Firefox, Safari, Chrome (ie. gecko,
webkit, blink engines)
- on Windows10, Edge, IE11, Chrome

So maybe the problem is that the application isn't falling back to a
font that knows how to handle mongolian text properly (such as baiti).

> *Does anyone know how to report display problems to Google for Chrome?
> Firefox?*

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

hope that helps, better speak with app implementers to check whether my
hypothesis is true.

ri