Re: Section on XHTML modularization

Felix Sasaki wrote:

>>> We could say "use the HTML markup instead of ITS", but what to do for
>>> the "nested case" (e.g. the "its:locNote" element contains a "dir"
>>> attribute).
>> What is the problem here? Could you explain it more or provide example.
>
> I'm wondering what to do with. s.t like <html:p><its:ruby
> html:dir="rtl"> . Is this desirable, or should it be <its:ruby
> dir="rtl"> or <its:ruby its:dir="rtl"> ?

To me it seems that <its:ruby dir="rtl"> is the most natural option.

ITS markup will be primarily consumed by CAT software and such software
doesn't have to understand to HTML markup (html:dir in this situation).
Moreover I think that such usage of HTML attributes is not very common,
although I recall that I have already seen some W3C proposal for this.

Also <its:ruby its:dir="rtl"> is in my opinion wrong, because its:dir
attribute should be used only on non-ITS elements where it is necessary
to qualify the attribute.

The problem is that the current schema allows ony the <its:ruby
its:dir="rtl"> variant which is wrong IMHO. I think that on <its:ruby>
just nonamespaced attributes should be allowed.

I also checked its:span element because I thought that recent changes to
its:span could affected its:ruby also. The its:span
(http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#span) now
allows both variants -- namespaced and non-namespaced attributes. My
understanding of changes on which we agreed week ago is that only
non-namespaced attributes should be allowed on its:span.

Please don't call me namespaced attributes troublemaker :-(

			Jirka

 OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO/JTC1/SC34 member
 Want to speak at XML Prague 2007 => http://xmlprague.cz/cfp.html