RE: Input to BP1 http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#Dev Lang

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 08:17:59 -0600
To: <fsasaki@w3.org>, <public-i18n-its@w3.org>

Hi Felix,

I would agree with a warning note.

> "Note: Make sure that the definition of the xml:lang attribute
> allows for empty values. That is, you must not use e.g. NMTOKEN
> as the data type. The XML Schema built in data type 'language'
> does not allow for empty values. Hence it must be used with care
> or avoid.

A) should be "avoided" rather than "avoid".

B) The statements: "Make sure...allows for empty values" and "...'language' does not allow for empty values. Hence it must be used
with care or avoided" seem a bit contradictory: 'language' cannot be used if you need to 'make sure'.

C) We say what not to use, but do not provide an example of what to use. If we cannot use NMTOKEN nor 'language' what should the
developer use?

Cheers,
-ys