W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > April to June 2007

[I18N ITS] Teleconference Minutes 2007-04-25

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:00:41 +0900
Message-ID: <462F6D19.9070604@w3.org>
To: public-i18n-its@w3.org

... are at http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html and below 
as text.

Felix

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                              i18n ITS WG

25 Apr 2007

   [2]Agenda

      [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0016.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Yves, Felix, Jirka, Christian

   Regrets
          Sebastian

   Chair
          Yves

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items
         2. [6]ITS Recommendation
         3. [7]ITS in atom
         4. [8]Reviewing W3C Work for ITS
         5. [9]Best Practices Working Draft
         6. [10]Face-to-face meeting at SAP Paris
         7. [11]AOB
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to prepare the BP WD for publication (DONE)
   [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]

   Felix: document will be published on Friday

   <Jirka> ok

   <scribe> ACTION: Christian to try to look at EMMA (DONE) [recorded
   in [14]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]

   <YvesS>
   [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0
   007.html

     [15] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0007.html

   Yves: Felix and me looked at the mail, I made a note about one
   example

   Christian: your note was right, I'll change the example

   Felix: example how to send a a comment:

   to: public-some-wg , cc: public-i18n-its , public-i18n-core

   Felix: i18n core would be in the loop, and it is our comment

   Christian: I'll send the comment

   <scribe> ACTION: Christian to send comment on EMMA [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]

   Felix: i18n core tracks comments like this:
   [17]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/
   ... for a single review a separate HTML page like
   [18]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0704-xforms11/
   ... it is some effort, but I wanted to bring the proposal to you

     [17] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/
     [18] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0704-xforms11/

   Yves: seems to be a lot of effort
   ... we could have a simplified web page which lists the specs we
   commented on and point to the initial mails
   ... the other way would be that the person who sends the comment to
   keep track of it
   ... having a simplified page would be the best solution

   Felix: agree

   Christian: maintaining the overview page would not be too much
   effort
   ... more worried about the individual review

   Yves: I start a summary page of comments

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to start a summary page for comments we made
   on other drafts [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to follow up with issue found in the Rec
   document about "lro" vs "rlo" (DONE) [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action05]

   [21]http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its-errata.html

     [21] http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its-errata.html

   Felix: I updated the errata page with the error
   ... we can publish the updated REC later after we have more errors

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to do add rule for xml:lang='zxx' and
   translate in DITA integration (POSTPONED) [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action06]

ITS Recommendation

   Felix: got some feedback from Japanese members that ITS should get
   more outreach, e.g. having it as an ISO standard, which makes it
   easier to appraoch governmental institutions

   Yves: in localization industry, ISO is not so important. Tool
   vendors are more important
   ... it is a big effort to go to ISO , maybe national standards would
   be easier, but maybe it is the same effort

   Jirka: I'm in ISO WG for markup languages
   ... it is possible to have existing specs in s.t. which is called
   fast track process
   ... it means that existing specs from e.g. OASIS or W3C become ISO
   standards
   ... problem is maintainance. Must be clear who maintains: ISO or
   original submitter
   ... in some countries having ISO stamps makes them more attractive
   for governmental organizations

   Yves: very helpful. Maybe we can add an item to the agenda of the
   f2f to discuss that

   Jirka: I can send pointers about the fast track process

   <scribe> ACTION: Jirka to send pointers about ISO fast track process
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action07]

   Christian: I also think we should try to relate ITS to upcoming
   technologies like W3C specs
   ... and we should try to relate ITS to producers of multilingual
   content
   ... however, we also need to see tool support for ITS

   <Jirka> Jirka doesn't think that it makes sense to have one standard
   released by two standard bodies, it makes further maintenance harder

   <Jirka> Jirka thinks that tool vendors are more important then ISO
   stamp

   <Jirka> Jirka thinks that we definitively push ITS in the new HTML
   WG, but this WG solves different problems at this time

   Both Yves and Christian are talking to various tool vendors / tool
   creators about ITS adoption already

   Jirka: I'm preparing a vote for office open XML XML format. I can
   integrate into the vote that ITS should be integrated into the
   format

   everybody likes the idea a lot

   Yves: we will discuss outreach also at the f2f

   <YvesS>
   [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0
   013.html

     [24] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0013.html

ITS in atom

   yves: we have not followed up on this topic

   [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2007AprJun
   /0017.html

     [25] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2007AprJun/0017.html

   Felix summarizes the mail
   [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0
   013.html and
   [27]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2007AprJun
   /0017.html

     [26] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0013.html
     [27] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2007AprJun/0017.html

   Yves: do you know about Atom? Is ITS useful?

   Felix: not sure

   Yves: I'll follow up on the bidi attribute and also ITS in general

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to look on Atom and the bidi attribute and
   possibly ITS in general [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action08]

Reviewing W3C Work for ITS

   Christian: looked at SPARQL
   ... found similar issues as i18n core WG
   ... the variable binding result format
   [29]http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-XMLres/ might use ITS

     [29] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-XMLres/

   Felix: not sure if it needs a review, maybe it is auto generated and
   needs no localization

   Christian: should we take more time to look into this and see also
   the outcome of the Atom review?

   Yves: sure

   Felix: does SPARQL need ITS?

   Christian: don't think so

   <scribe> ACTION: everybody to look at SPARQL and the SPARQL result
   format for potential ITS review [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action09]

   Yves: no new drafts

   Christian: what about non-ITS specs?
   ... like TMX?

   Yves: we should gather the comments and send them out officially

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to look into TMX for ITS related comments
   [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action10]

   Yves: don't think there is s.t. in SRX

   Christian: relationship between segmentation rules and our "Within
   Text" rules?

   Yves: theoretically yes, practically not. SRX deals only with regex
   in text. ITS "Within Text" deals with element structure
   ... you can implement both without knowing each other
   ... "Within Text" has to do with s.t. which is sent to a tool. After
   that , another tool might use that information to do text
   segmentation

   Christian: SRX is a standard for segmentation rules, so isn't it
   related to "Within Text"?

   Yves: it is related, but at different stages of the process

   Christian: we could make a joint comment to make the relationship to
   ITS clear

   Yves: good point

   Felix: we could make such relations also clear in the BP document

   Yves: other formats: XLIFF: has no directionality aspect in it

   Christian: yes.

   <scribe> ACTION: Everybody to look into XLIFF 1.2, TMX 2. and SRX 2
   [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action11]

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to add non-w3c specs to the comment overview
   page [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action12]

Best Practices Working Draft

   Yves: made no change, waited for publication
   ... at the next call or f2f, mabye we could try some online editing
   ... I have web ex and could set up a meeting

   (some concerns about OS useability, for people who don't have
   windows)

Face-to-face meeting at SAP Paris

   Yves: as a reminder
   ... one more topic: outreach discussion

AOB

   Yves: will not be at next call, Felix will chair

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Christian to send comment on EMMA [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: everybody to look at SPARQL and the SPARQL result
   format for potential ITS review [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: Everybody to look into XLIFF 1.2, TMX 2. and SRX 2
   [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jirka to send pointers about ISO fast track process
   [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to add non-w3c specs to the comment overview page
   [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to look into TMX for ITS related comments
   [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action10]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to look on Atom and the bidi attribute and
   possibly ITS in general [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to start a summary page for comments we made on
   other drafts [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

   [POSTPONED] ACTION: Yves to do add rule for xml:lang='zxx' and
   translate in DITA integration [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action06]

   [DONE] ACTION: Christian to try to look at EMMA [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to follow up with issue found in the Rec
   document about "lro" vs "rlo" [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action05]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to prepare the BP WD for publication [recorded
   in [45]http://www.w3.org/2007/04/25-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [46]scribe.perl version 1.128
    ([47]CVS log)
    $Date: 2007/04/25 14:59:31 $

     [46] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [47] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 25 April 2007 15:00:50 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:49 GMT