Re: Reply on comments on ITS tagset draft

Felix Sasaki wrote:

Hi Felix,

thanks for addressing my comments. Please find bellow my further comments.

> The most of
> examples specify its:version, but example 10 doesn't have its:version
> defined anywhere on ancestors of <title its:translate...> element. I
> think that reasonable approach would be to require its:version on
> element itself or on one if its ancestors.
>
>> ITSWG: We think that the mechanism described at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-its-20061102/#its-version-attribute is
> sufficient and makes it easier to search for version information (only
> two elements, its:rules or the root element need to be checked for *all*
> ITS markup) than the ancestor approach you are suggesting (with that
> approach you would need to check ancestors for each local ITS markup and
> for rules element).

Yes, I understand. But with this approach it is not possible to scan ITS
markup in a streaming mode -- for example, on example 10 there is
its:translate before its:version. I don't know whether ability to read
document in a streaming mode is essential requirement for ITS, but to me
it seems strange that you must do look-ahead on the its:translate
attribute to find which version of ITS is used.

> You are using simple XLink links and you reference XLink 1.0
> specification. However XLink 1.0 requires specification of link type
> (xlink:type="simple") even for simple links. XLink 1.1 which is under
> development removes this constraint by saying that if there is no link
> type specified, simple link is assumed. So you probably want to
> reference XLink 1.1 instead.
>
>> ITSWG: Thank you for this suggestion, we will change the ODD document
> and use xlin:type="simple". We can't reference XLink 1.1 easily since it
> is not a Recommendation yet.

Yes, but OTOH requiring users to type xlink:type="simple" seems as a
little bit overkill. For example SVG or DocBook 5 already use XLink and
they don't require xlink:type. Maybe you could contact authors of XLink
1.1 and see whether this document could be made recommendation before
ITS reaches this status also.

				Jirka

                   Nejbližší termíny školení:
** XML pro vývojáře 19.-22.3.2007 ** XML schémata 16.-18.4.2007 **
        ** XSL-FO 15.-16.5.2007 ** DocBook 26.-28.6.2007 **
  http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers