Re: Action Item: Editors to write some clarification text explaining inheritance stops at nodes

Hi Christian,

2006-12-19 (火) の 11:37 +0100 に Lieske, Christian さんは書きました:
> Hi Felix,
>
> Here's my suggestion for our action item
>
>         Editors to write some clarification text explaining
> inheritance stops at nodes
>
> recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/12/13-i18nits-minutes.html#action10
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> I would suggest to add the note to 2.2 (Overriding and Inheritance).
> On the one hand that's where
> we first extensively talk about inheritance. On the other hand, its
> non-normative.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
> ===
>
> Caveat Related to Inheritance
>
> Inheritance is applied only after every other method of establishing a
> value
> for a data category has been exhausted.

I would drop the sentence above since we don't require a processing
order, but "only" precedence. And I'd also drop "Put dirrefentely:".

> Put differently: Values specified by rules
> are given precedence over inherited values.
>
> Accordingly, the content of the "code" element in the example below is
> marked as
> "not translatable" (since the value specified in the "translateRule"
> for "code"
> receives precedence over the inherited value from the local rule on
> the "par" element).
>
> <myDoc xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its">
>  <head>
>   <its:rules its:version="1.0">
>    <its:translateRule selector="//code" translate="no"/>
>    <its:translateRule selector="//par" translate="no"/>
>   </its:rules>
>  </head>
>   <par its:translate="yes">This is the paragraph 2. It has some
> </myDoc>
>
> This behaviour is in line with  CSS: a global rule like em { color:
> blue ; } is overridden by
> <em style ="color: blue;">. However, for the <em> element it is not
> overridden by a local rule like

Do we have this example as a file already? If not, I'd propose to add it
to the test suite. Btw., I'm not sure if we need to mention the CSS
rules or even talk about CSS, so we might drop "This behavior .." .

Felix