RE: Proposed title change for the best practices document

Correct.  This has been the case for two or three years (although the series
title was different until recently). Not just for this but also for the
Charmod stuff.

> My understanding is that the documents are going to be
> renamed. For example
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-i18n-html-tech-bidi-20040509/"
> currently titled "Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML
> Internationalization: Handling Bidirectional Text 1.0", will
> be renamed "Internationalization Best Practices: Handling
> Bidirectional Text 1.0". Is that correct Richard?

Yes, I'm trying to make that happen. (Already renamed in the editor's copy -
may have been a little premature on that page.)

> > Also, when I click on some of these links, I get
> transferred to a blog
> > search that doesn't bring up the item that I clicked
> > (examples: "Handling Right-to-left Scripts in XHTML and
> HTML Content",
> > "Characters and Encodings",...).
>
> I'm quite confused by that too.

That was born out of desperation.  I simply couldn't find the time to keep
updating that page each time a new draft was issued, and it had become
hopelessly out of date.  Now I don't have to.

> Richard: As a general comment for GEO: it seems to me that,
> maybe, we are starting to have to too many different ways to
> get to a content and too many links. I don't have any
> alternative to propose, but it's starting to take me more
> time to get to a bit of information on these pages than it used to.

Hmm. It's rather hard to deal with vague statements like this, I'm afraid.
If you can give me a specific example (in a separate mail), we can discuss
more easily.

> >>The proposed new title is:
> >>"Internationalization Best Practises: Internationalizing
> XML Formats
> >>and Content"
> >
> > At the mimimum, Practise -> Practice. Also, I think there
> is too much
> > "Internat...". What about "Internationalization Best
> > Practices: XML Formats and Content" ?

Because the second part of the title is often used on its own (the whole
thing is very unwieldy), and that part usually describes the 'task' and the
technologies, cf. Specifying Language in XHTML & HTML Content. In this case,
the task is unfortunately best described simply as 'Internationalizing'.

> I missed that one. Yes, it should be "Practices".
>
> Maybe better examples for the "title harmonization" would be:
> http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-bidi.html
> and
> http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html
>

> Richard: It seems there are actually quite a number of
> "practise(s)" in the i18n pages.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I actually standardised a large number of
them recently, but got it the wrong way around :(  I'm always unreasonably
confused by those two.  (If there were 3 alternatives, it would be easier.)

> (and, by the way, the search box titled "I18n site search:"
> on all these pages does not seem to work (broken link)).

Seems ok to me.  Can you try again? (reply with a different subject line,
please).