Re: Editorial note: Override vs Overwrite

From: Sebastian Rahtz <Sebastian.Rahtz@oucs.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:51:12 +0100
To: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
CC: public-i18n-its@w3.org

"overwrite", to me, is a technical word which you apply to things like
discs and tapes. "override" is a vague word. I might, for example,
override the instructions given by people who work for me.

- When I type "rm -f", it overrides the file properties
- When I type "cat foo > bar" it overwrites the contexts of file bar
--
Sebastian Rahtz

*Open Source and Sustainability*
10-12 April 2006, Oxford