Issue of locInfoType - To keep or not

From: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:12:33 -0700
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Hi all,

There is an item listed in the Mandelieu proposals that I'd like to dispose of at the next teleconference. It's not a crucial one
but it affect the markup itself, so we need to address it.

We have currently an optional attribute locInfoType with the values "alert|description" (and no default set for now).

The question is shall we keep it or not?

Advantages to keep it:

- Allows to make a distinction between different types of loc info.

Drawbacks:

- make things a bit more verbose, and add more things to do at the implementation.
- we would need to decide where it fits in the conformance (any specific processing expectation)
- if we keep it we need to have a default value for it (alert or description?)

My comments:

Overall I don't see much benefits into having it. From an implementation viewpoint (at least from my prospective) this will
translate into a note that will have a 'ALERT' word in front of the note, or nothing. That's it.

If we keep it I think the default value should be 'description'.

I would be for removing @locInfoType simply because it doesn't seem to bring much and that would make ITS a tad lighter. But it's
not at all a strong opinion and I'll go with the pack on this one.