Re: FW: Question about selector scope and rule order

Hi Yves,

According to
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-its-20060222/#selection-defaults-etc , both
translatability and localization information are handled the same way.

Yves Savourel wrote:
> Hi Felix, Sebastian, and all,
>
> Mmmm, maybe using "localize='no'" as an example was a bad idea. Let me give you a possibly better example.
> If I have and XHTML file with:

> Where <span class='code'> is not translatable, <span class='code'> is translatable

I guess this should be <span class='text'> ?
, and <p class='notrans'> paragraphs are not
> translatable.
>
> I can use the following for dealing with code and text in span:
>
> <its:translateRule translate="no" its:selector="//span[@class='code']"/>
> <its:translateRule translate="yes" its:selector="//span[@class='text']"/>
>
> Now, we need to change the rules or add one for handling the <p class='notrans'> element:
>
> We could do this:
>
> <its:translateRule translate="no" its:selector="//p[not(@class='notrans')]/span[@class='code']"/>
> <its:translateRule translate="yes" its:selector="//p[not(@class='notrans')]/span[@class='text']"/>
>
> But it seems much easier to do this:
>
> <its:translateRule translate="no" its:selector="//span[@class='code']"/>
> <its:translateRule translate="yes" its:selector="//span[@class='text']"/>
> <its:translateRule translate="no" its:selector="//p[@class='notrans']"/>
>
> My question then is, in this last set of rules, is rule #3 enough to override #2?

As Sebastian pointed out, always the last rule wins. So it is enough, I
think.

> In my implementation it is not enough.
> Felix: your answer, I think, is that it should be enough. I think you're correct, but Sebastian's answer threw me off and I'm not
> sure anymore.

I think it is enough, and it would be in my (and I think in Sebastian's)
implementation.

Cheers,

Felix