Ruby example

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:52:25 +0900
Cc: "public-i18n-its@w3.org" <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
To: "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>

Hi Karl, cc'ing to public-i18n-its,

This is an example for ruby used to express "unvisible" units as ruby text.

The base text contains a Japanese sentence "Yesterday I went to Shibuya".
The pronoun "I" is usually omitted in the original, which makes it hard to
understand for e.g. beginning Japanese language learners.

The ruby text above the base text explains what is omitted. The first ruby
text line below the base text contains a romanized vesion. The second ruby
text line below the base text contains morpho-lexical information. The
abbrivations: "TM" means "topic marker", "DM" means "direction marker".

<ruby>
<rbc>
<rb>昨日</rb>
<rb>は</rb>
<rb>渋谷</rb>
<rb>に</rb>
<rb>行きました</rb>
<rtc>
<rt rbspan="5" xml:lang="en">omitted pronoun: "I"</rt>
</rtc>
<rtc xml:lang="en">
<rt>yesterday</rt>
<rt>TM</rt>