Applications of ruby: ruby with various semantics

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:24:07 +0900
To: "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "public-i18n-its@w3.org" <public-i18n-its@w3.org>

Hi all,

Karl who recently gave us the nice information about conformance is
working on an article about ruby. He would like to gather various usages
of Ruby. I have collected some below. They encompass usages which are not
typical for Ruby, but "glossing" in general. If you have any comments /
further examples, please provide them - or general feedback.

- "Japanese use"

Base text: "日本"
Ruby as pronounciation description with Hiragana, Katakana or Romaji: "にほ
ん", "ニホン",
"nihon"

- "Chinese use"

Base text: [some traditional chinese]
Ruby as "bopomofo" [indicate the pronunciation of Traditional Chinese]

- Linguistic morphological glossing

Base text: "I like fish"
Ruby as morphological glossing: N (for "I") V (for "like") N (for "fish")

- Expression of "unvisible" units in a text

Base text:

Base text: "kinou ha Shibuya ni ikimashita." (means: yesterday I was in
Shibuya.)
Ruby for the whole sentence: "0" (spoken "zero") to indicate that there is
a non-realized personal pronoun. Such information is useful for learners
of Japanese.

- Expressing non-segmentable word boundaries
This is useful for
* a contraction (Old High German, English, many other languages)
* a compound word (Sanskrit, Avestan, many other languages)
* a group of words whose forms have been affected by "euphonic" sandhi
changes (Sanskrit,
Breton)
* a group of words in which, for orthographic or other reasons, the word
junctions are
not indicated (Sanskrit, Japanese)
An example from Japanese:
base text: yo-mu (means: "reading in the base form"; with the Japanese
syllabic script, the boundaries between the morphemes "yom" and "m" cannot
be expressed)
Ruby for a segmentation of morphological boundaries: contains a romanized
version of "yomu" with the correct boundaries "yom-mu".

- Adding information about gestures to conversation transcriptions:

Base text: "And we bought a biiiig icecream."
Ruby can be used to mark up "biiig" and to add information about gestures.