Re: locInfo

Hi Yves,

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:46:17 +0900, Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com> wrote:

> Hi Felix, and all,
>
> Some notes the locInfo datacat:
>
> - locInfoType is defined as xs:token in the XSD for ITS, but as CDATA in
> the DTD. Shouldn't we enumerate the values in the DTD?

That would be a possibiliyt. We discussed at some point to have two
attributes instead of one: "@locInfoDesc" and "@lofInfoAlert". In that
way, we would not need "type". What do you think?

> - If locInfoType is not present, do we have a default value for it? If
> so, is it description or alert?

The solution with two attributes would solve that problem

> - In the description of datacat table (section 4): The default selection
> in instance document for locInfo is: "Textual content of
> element, including content of child elements, but excluding attributes."
> This imply that every single inline code within a paragraph
> that has a locInfo should also have the locInfo applied, is this making
> sense?
> I can see the inheritence interest in some case (for non-inline
> elements), but if the ITS processor uses some "tree-decoration"
> method to propagate the note, this can end up in a huge amount of extra
> nodes not really necessary. Mmmm... I guess it's a processor
> problem...

Did you see what I wrote at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006JanMar/0051.html
about the inheritance problem with @locInfo? The general question is: how
to handle inheritance if we don't have *alternative* values, that is s.t.
different from its:translate, its:dir etc.
We *could* leave that to the implemenation, which could decide if
inheritance should be turned of or not. We could also add a new feature to
ITS, e.g. an @inheritance attribute with values "yes" or "no". I'm not
sure what is more feasible.

Cheers,
Felix