W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > January to March 2006

Minutes i18n ITS working group 2006-01-11

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:44:17 +0900
To: "public-i18n-its@w3.org" <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.s283j3ltx1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec.mag.keio.ac.jp>

Hi all,

The minutes of the ITS call from 2006-01-11 call are at

http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html

and below as text.

Regards, Felix.



    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                         i18n ITS working group

11 Jan 2006

    [2]Agenda

       [2]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2006JanMar/0008.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Christian, Damian, Diane, Goutam, Felix, Yves

    Regrets
           Andrzej, Najib, Richard, Sebastian

    Chair
           Yves

    Scribe
           Felix

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review of action items
          2. [6]"Language Standards for Global Business"
          3. [7]going through bugzilla
          4. [8]about modularization
          5. [9]other business
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    Yves: happy new year to everybody!

Review of action items

    felix: most of my action items are pending :(

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix will tackle moving information from the
    i18n-comments lists, and move it to bugzilla. (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [11]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to change bidi notation, as a response to
    Mimasas comment. (PENDING) [recorded in
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to correct the syntax error in the markup
    logged in Bugzilla. (PENDING) [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to correct the wrong XML Schema namespace.
    (PENDING) [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <scribe> ACTION: Sebastian to change the processing system for ODD
    (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to check possible problems with both elements
    and attributes qualified. (PENDING) [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to change the ITS ODD definition so that it
    does not need an entry point anymore. (PENDING) [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

    <scribe> ACTION: Christian to write a non-normative section on
    scope, at the beginning of the scope section (PENDING) [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action08]

    felix: Please don't wait for me with this

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to talk to the QA activity within W3C about
    conformance criteria for ITS (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action09]

    <scribe> ACTION: Info about next face-to-face: (DONE) [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action10]

    Yves: next f2f is at the technical plenary

    felix: we could have a meeting at the technical plenary

    <scribe> ACTION: everybody to think about f2f at tech plenary and
    see if they can make it or not [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action11]

    yves: the other f2f:

    A) Thursday May-18, Friday May-19, and Saturday May-20

    B) or Sunday May-28, Monday May-29, and Tuesday May-30

    C) or Monday May-29, Tuesday May-30, and Wednesday May-31

    <damiend> W3C Tech plenary info :
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/12/allgroupoverview.html

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/12/allgroupoverview.html

    Yves: for me it does not matter if we make a f2f around xtech or
    around the www conference

    Cl: the same for me

    <scribe> ACTION: all to look at parameters for the f2f around www
    conference or xtech [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action12]

    <scribe> ACTION: Yves to finalize and send his ITS use cases
    examples to Sebastian and Felix (PENDING) [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action13]

    <scribe> ACTION: (medium term) Yves to explore constraint support in
    CSS and possibly contact a CSS guru. (PENDING) [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action14]

    <scribe> ACTION: Update the Requirement wiki list and status
    (PENDING) [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action15]

"Language Standards for Global Business"

    felix reports on additional infos about the meeting

    cl: as for the relation to XLIFF, they are creating profiles which
    encompass popular vocabularies

    Yves: for ITS it would be easier to do
    ... at least for translatability
    ... that is, doing the modularizations is useful
    ... also, open source implementations are useful
    ... if you know others, please tell us

    Felix: should we set up such a page?

    Cl: we should discuss conformance criteria before setting up s.t.
    like that
    ... otherwise the interoperability might be harmed

    Yves: yes, we need some test files to make the interoperability sure

    Felix: so we better wait with this

    Yves: for now we don't link to SR page, but maybe with the next
    publication

    <YvesS>
    [27]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?query_format=&product=
    ITS

      [27]  
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?query_format=&product=ITS

going through bugzilla

    <YvesS> [28]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2621

      [28] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2621

    Yves: do we need a conformance level "just in situ"?
    ... I can see the benefit of this, but I am also worried about it
    ... because we may have many limited ITS implementations

    Damian: The precedence rules might be a little bit complicated

    <chriLi> [29]http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice8.html#conform

      [29] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice8.html#conform

    Yves: we might need a flag which says "this conformance is given"

    Cl: xsl fo has three levels of conformance
    ... but the processors say in detail which properties they support

    Yves: Does this make them conformant, to say that?

    Cl: the providers of the implementations say that
    ... as for ITS, we could have a list of data categories, a list of
    mechanisms
    ... we could say "if you support the following combination, you
    would have basic conformant"

    Yves: depending on the tool, not everything on ITS might be relevant
    ... for example "terminology" is not relevant for many translation
    tools, also not ruby

    Cl: as for interoperability between tools, if we have a basic level
    of conformance, that will achieve a basic level of interoperability

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to ask other w3c staff member about how to
    implement performance in general [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action16]

    Yves: it is a different issue to have a kind of "flag" which
    indicates what an implementation can expect

    on [31]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2620

      [31] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2620

    Cl: the idea of metadata would not necessarily make things more
    complicated
    ... maybe we have a terminological misunderstanding
    ... if we have the information "this document uses only ITS in
    situ", that would be very helpful for processors

    felix: could we not just check the document and see what is in the
    document?

    Cl: it might be difficult for large documents

    Yves: I think the processing time is no problem, it is more that it
    forces the user to target a specific type of conformance
    ... he knows that he only uses parts of ITS, which would help the
    author as well

    <scribe> ACTION: Yves to make a sample for different levels of
    conformances, a way of distingushing the levels [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action17]

about modularization

    Yves: we have a conference call with the DITA people next week
    ... they are agreeing with the they we are going, but they have a
    feedback that a translate attribute can be difficult for the users
    ... I would propose that Christian will be on the call as well

    felix: I did not do anything on xmlspec since the f2f

    Damian: I have not worked on open doc very much, but it has started

    Yves: there are translation tools like omega-t which translate
    opendocument, so it would be great if we have a modularization with
    opendoc
    ... I did not do anything since the f2f

    <scribe> ACTION: owners of the modularizations to keep them in mind
    [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action18]

other business

    felix: people are encouraged to participate in the xtech paper, if
    it is accepted

    yves: Diane, I will come back to you with the techniques document

    adjourn

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: all to look at parameters for the f2f around www
    conference or xtech [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action12]
    [NEW] ACTION: everybody to think about f2f at tech plenary and see
    if they can make it or not [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action11]
    [NEW] ACTION: felix to ask other w3c staff member about how to
    implement performance in general [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action16]
    [NEW] ACTION: owners of the modularizations to keep them in mind
    [recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action18]
    [NEW] ACTION: Yves to make a sample for different levels of
    conformances, a way of distingushing the levels [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action17]

    [PENDING] ACTION: (medium term) Yves to explore constraint support
    in CSS and possibly contact a CSS guru. [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action14]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Christian to write a non-normative section on
    scope, at the beginning of the scope section [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action08]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to change bidi notation, as a response to
    Mimasas comment. [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to change the ITS ODD definition so that it
    does not need an entry point anymore. [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action07]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to check possible problems with both
    elements and attributes qualified. [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to correct the syntax error in the markup
    logged in Bugzilla. [recorded in
    [44]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to correct the wrong XML Schema namespace.
    [recorded in
    [45]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to talk to the QA activity within W3C about
    conformance criteria for ITS [recorded in
    [46]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action09]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix will tackle moving information from the
    i18n-comments lists, and move it to bugzilla. [recorded in
    [47]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Sebastian to change the processing system for ODD
    [recorded in
    [48]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Update the Requirement wiki list and status
    [recorded in
    [49]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action15]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Yves to finalize and send his ITS use cases
    examples to Sebastian and Felix [recorded in
    [50]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action13]

    [DONE] ACTION: Info about next face-to-face [recorded in
    [51]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/11-i18n-minutes.html#action10]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [52]scribe.perl version 1.127
     ([53]CVS log)
     $Date: 2006/01/12 05:41:40 $

      [52] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [53] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 12 January 2006 05:44:35 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:43:06 UTC