W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > April to June 2006

[I18N ITS] Teleconference Minutes 2006-05-03

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 00:24:25 +0900
Message-ID: <4458CB29.9090601@w3.org>
To: public-i18n-its@w3.org
... are at http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html

and below as text.

Regards, Felix.


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                        i18n ITS working group

3 May 2006

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0056.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Christian, Felix, Richard, Yves

   Regrets
          Diane, Goutam, Sebastian

   Chair
          Yves

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items
         2. [6]title of techniques document
         3. [7]further action items
         4. [8]other business
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Christian and felix to finish the text for the
   inclusion issue (Felix creates normative part, christian the
   non-normative part) (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]

   statement in normative part:

   "Selection relies on the information which is given in the XML
   Information Set [XML Infoset]. ITS applications MAY implement
   inclusion mechanisms such as XInclude or DITA's [Dita 1.0] conref."

   christian: I would use it for the informative part

   Yves: the way it is worded is fine.
   ... as for the reference to DITA 1.0, make the key upper case

   felix: will do

title of techniques document

   richard: I propose best practices
   ... I discussed with the architecture domain lead, he said it's fine
   ... another guy said he does not like the term "best practices", but
   would not stand against it
   ... the document is best practices for schema developers?

   yves: also for content developers
   ... current title is "XML Internationalization Techniques"

   richard: How about "Best practices for XML Internationalization"?

   felix: would topics like "integrating i18n related markup in a
   schema" or "using ITS rules" be covered by the "best practices"
   title?

   richard: all titles are not perfect
   ... MW people have used BP as well
   ... the document will not be only a techniques document
   ... we might also have separate documents for techniques, as we
   discussed at the Oxford f2f briefly

   felix: I'm just wondering if our WG members who developed ITS are
   fine with the "not on techniques" focused title. If that's o.k.?

   christian: It must be sure that ITS (tagset) is in the references

   yves: that's for sure, I'm fine with the title

   richard: "best practices": it's easier to subsume "techniques" under
   it

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to post a mail on the new name proposal for
   the "techniques document" [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]

further action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Christian to write a paragraph describing the
   requirement for ITS information about non-textual objects (DONE)
   [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]

   yves: result is in the tagset draft and in the requirements document
   ... christian said: have the paragraph in a subsection on
   translatability
   ... I proposed to have it as a separate requirement

   felix: in the tagset draft:
   [13]http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#not
   e-object-selection

     [13]
http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#note-object-selection

   christian: so in the requirements doc, there is a new requirement
   for this? Which must be listed in the introduction of the tagset
   doc?

   yves: yes

   christian: I'll work on that

   <scribe> ACTION: Sebastian and Yves to work on integration of
   modularization section into Techniques document (ONGOING) [recorded
   in [14]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to write text about within text. (DONE)
   [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action05]

   yves: I was concerned about non-listed elements: how to deal with
   them?
   ... if an element is bracketed by text, mostly it is inline
   ... you could propose mostly all documents, without defining
   anything
   ... I was not sure how to define a default for non-listed elements
   ... Felix proposed using <its:withinTextRule withinText="xxx"
   selector="//*" /> as the first rule, which might solve the problem
   ... but there are other problems
   ... esp. how to actually implement the data category
   ... Christian had concerns on the wording "subflow", I proposed
   "nested" instead

   <YvesS>
   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0
   151.html

     [16]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0151.html

   Felix: I'm fine with Yves wording and examples on the issue

   <scribe> ACTION: All make sure "rules" is using non-prefix
   attributes in all samples and test (DONE) [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action06]

   <scribe> ACTION: All to try out the "translate" test case to achieve
   compatibility of output (PENDING) [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action07]

   yves: not important right now, only after last call

   <scribe> ACTION: All to work on examples: Christian takes 1-9, Felix
   10-18, Sebastian 19-28, Yves 29-37 (DONE) [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action08]

   christian: I looked at the examples, I did not find anything

   felix: I did that as well

   yves: me as well

   <scribe> ACTION: Christian to integrate changes in section 1.1 and
   1.2 within 2 weeks. (DROPPED) [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action09]

   christian: I had editing environment issues

   <scribe> ACTION: Christian to propose a wording for the inclusion
   issue (DROPPED) [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action10]

   <scribe> ACTION: Everybody to think about which W3C working groups
   shoud comment on the tagset last call draft. (DONE) [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action11]

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to add a rbspanPointer attribute to rubyRule
   (DONE) [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action12]

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to check how license should be handled in the
   schema. (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action13]

   christian: sebastian pointed out that a document is different from
   an application
   ... I would wonder if the examples in the spec should also have a
   time stamp
   ... e.g. via XML comments
   ... it might give us a way to check that an example is still up to
   date or outdated

   felix: that's fine with me

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to add time stamps to the examples in the
   spec [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action14]

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to produce descriptions for each entry in the
   schema. (DONE) [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action15]

   felix: please look at
   [27]http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its.xsd
   ... all xs:annotation elements

     [27] http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its.xsd

   <scribe> ACTION: all to review the xs:annotation elements in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its.xsd (to see if
   the explanations of ITS markup are o.k.) [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action16]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its.xsd

   christian: should we check the ITS schemas with various editors?

   felix: I'm always checking with Oxygen, XML SPY and emacs

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to specify the "required-ness" of attributes
   when needed in the schemas (DONE) [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action17]

   <scribe> ACTION: Richard to discuss with people whether we should
   change the title of the "techniques doc" (DONE) [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action18]

   <scribe> ACTION: Sebastian and Felix to add comment in ODD to have
   it inside the generated schema to explain how it was created (DONE)
   [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action19]

   <scribe> ACTION: Sebastian to get rid of "empties" from generated
   schema (PENDING) [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action20]

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to explore the reference attributes (termRef,
   locRef) with regard to spliting URI "base versus fragment" (DONE)
   [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action21]

   <YvesS>
   [35]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0
   156.html

     [35]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0156.html

   Yves explains the mail

   christian: I agree with Yves proposal

   felix: me too, but I'm not sure if we have time to make the change

   richard: we should be careful not to make a change "ourself" after
   last call

   felix: I would have time to make the change, if we agree on it until
   Monday

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to post a mail with the proposal at
   [36]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0
   156.html , saying that we decide it until monday [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action22]

     [36]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0156.html

   yves: as for terminology markup in various vocabularies: there are a
   lot of differences
   ... it is an example of how to relate different data types

   <r12a> FYI, NMTOKEN = "Name Token"

   yves: at some point, we might have to drop the referencing issue

   <r12a> nope

   yves: because it is hard to come up with a general solution

   felix: at least people are not hindered to use ITS natively

   yves: another problem: currently we have "anyURI"
   ... which could also be "#something"

   <scribe> ACTION: felix (possibly others) to look on the issue of
   xml:base, see
   [38]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0
   156.html [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action23]

     [38]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0156.html

   christian: I'm looking for vocabularies that have these problems

   yves: maybe XHTML?

other business

   christian: what should we do about the feedback on ITS tagset we got
   today from Jerry?

   yves: I can go through his comments and come up with an answer, and
   post it to the member list

   christian: that would be great

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to post his thoughts on Jerry's comments on
   the member list [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action24]

   christian gives thougths on Jerrys mail

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: all to review the xs:annotation elements in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its.xsd (to see if
   the explanations of ITS markup are o.k.) [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action16]
   [NEW] ACTION: felix (possibly others) to look on the issue of
   xml:base, see
   [43]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0
   156.html [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action23]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to add time stamps to the examples in the spec
   [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action14]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to post a mail on the new name proposal for the
   "techniques document" [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to post a mail with the proposal at
   [47]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0
   156.html , saying that we decide it until monday [recorded in
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action22]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to post his thoughts on Jerry's comments on the
   member list [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action24]

     [41] http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/its.xsd
     [43]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0156.html
     [47]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0156.html

   [PENDING] ACTION: All to try out the "translate" test case to
   achieve compatibility of output [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action07]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Christian and felix to finish the text for the
   inclusion issue (Felix creates normative part, christian the
   non-normative part) [recorded in
   [51]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to check how license should be handled in
   the schema. [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action13]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Sebastian and Yves to work on integration of
   modularization section into Techniques document [recorded in
   [53]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Sebastian to get rid of "empties" from generated
   schema [recorded in
   [54]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action20]

   [DONE] ACTION: All make sure "rules" is using non-prefix attributes
   in all samples and test [recorded in
   [55]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action06]
   [DONE] ACTION: All to work on examples: Christian takes 1-9, Felix
   10-18, Sebastian 19-28, Yves 29-37 [recorded in
   [56]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action08]
   [DONE] ACTION: Christian to write a paragraph describing the
   requirement for ITS information about non-textual objects [recorded
   in [57]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]
   [DONE] ACTION: Everybody to think about which W3C working groups
   shoud comment on the tagset last call draft. [recorded in
   [58]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action11]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to add a rbspanPointer attribute to rubyRule
   [recorded in
   [59]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action12]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to produce descriptions for each entry in the
   schema. [recorded in
   [60]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action15]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to specify the "required-ness" of attributes
   when needed in the schemas [recorded in
   [61]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action17]
   [DONE] ACTION: Richard to discuss with people whether we should
   change the title of the "techniques doc" [recorded in
   [62]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action18]
   [DONE] ACTION: Sebastian and Felix to add comment in ODD to have it
   inside the generated schema to explain how it was created [recorded
   in [63]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action19]
   [DONE] ACTION: Yves to explore the reference attributes (termRef,
   locRef) with regard to spliting URI "base versus fragment" [recorded
   in [64]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action21]
   [DONE] ACTION: Yves to write text about within text. [recorded in
   [65]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action05]

   [DROPPED] ACTION: Christian to integrate changes in section 1.1 and
   1.2 within 2 weeks. [recorded in
   [66]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action09]
   [DROPPED] ACTION: Christian to propose a wording for the inclusion
   issue [recorded in
   [67]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/03-i18nits-minutes.html#action10]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [68]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([69]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/05/03 15:20:54 $

     [68] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [69] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/


Received on Wednesday, 3 May 2006 15:24:42 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:43:07 UTC