RE: Action Item: http://www.w3.org/2006/04/19-i18nits-minutes.html#action01 (handling of inclusions)

From: Lieske, Christian <christian.lieske@sap.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:06:54 +0200
To: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>, <public-i18n-its@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: public-i18n-its-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-i18n-its-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Felix Sasaki
Sent: Dienstag, 25. April 2006 14:28
To: Yves Savourel
Cc: Lieske, Christian; public-i18n-its@w3.org
Subject: Re: Action Item:
http://www.w3.org/2006/04/19-i18nits-minutes.html#action01 (handling of
inclusions)

Hi Yves, all,

Yves Savourel wrote:
> Hi Felix, all,
>
>> It seems that it was clear to Sebastian, only unclear to Yves
>> and me, so how about adding just one sentence to your proposal:
>>
>> <note>
>> The XPath expressions used by ITS selection assume that any
inclusions
>> (such as those based on XInclude) are resolved before selection is
>> applied. Accordingly, inclusion mechanisms such as XInclude or DITA's

>> <gi>conref</gi> may need to be followed before ITS selections are
>> applied. </note>
>>
>> that is:
>> [[However, to avoid interoperability problems, the interpretation of
>> XPath expressions within the ITS selections MUST NOT require that
>> inclusion mechanisms are  processed.]]
>
> But wouldn't this addition contradict the first sentence? If we assume
inclusions are resolved it means we've probably processed
> them.

the sentence contains "may need to be followed", which maybe causes the
ambiguity. How about this, as a proposal for the whole paragraph:

XPath expressions used by ITS selection do not rely on any inclusion
mechanisms like XInclude or DITA's <att>conref</att> attribute. To avoid
interoperability problems, the interpretation of XPath expressions
within the ITS selections MUST NOT require that inclusion mechanisms are
 processed.

- Felix