W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > October to December 2005

Minutes 2005-11-30: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:23:38 -0700
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <001801c5f5ca$6bebedb0$c105a8c0@Breizh>

Minutes 2005-11-30: ITS teleconference 

Attendees
=========

- DD: Damien Dolon (Sun)
- CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)
- DS: Diane Stoick (Boeing)
- GS: Goutam Saha (CDAC) [by IRC]

Regrets:

- FS: Felix Sasaki
- RI: Richard Ishida
- SR: Sebastian Rahtz
- AZ: Andrzej Zydron


Review Action Items From Last Meeting
=====================================

1- [NEW]: All to refresh their knowledge about the requirements document.
Done.

2- [NEW]: Andrzej and Christian to follow up on the contact to DITA, and see how ITS fits into DITA.
Ongoing. (Email send).
CL: Two roads we need to follow:
-a For the future, how to add ITS info into next versions of DITA
-b Modularization of ITS in DITA.

3- [NEW]: Christian and Felix to create a paragraph on the data categories and the relation to realizations.
Pending for next time.

4- [NEW]: All to look at the i18n / l10n definitions. give comments until the end of the week.
Done. Deadline is now passed. RI to make things move forward.

5- [NEW]: Felix to create a directory for ITS test files (e.g. its/testfiles) for now one account for Sebastian.
Done.

6- [NEW]: Richard and Felix to talk about patent policy during the AC meeting.
Ongoing.

7- [NEW]: Richard will give Diane and Yves a template for the techniques document by the end of the week.
Done. YS will get the templates and (probably after the F2F meeting will coordinate with DS)

8- [NEW]: Yves to contact OASIS to get feedback on ITS.
Done. Email send. At least two TCs (XLIFF and Web-Services) have gotten the ITS announcement.

9- [NEW]: Yves to finalize the F2F agenda.
Done: <http://www.w3.org/International/its/ftf-200512-Didcot.html#Objective>

10- [PENDING]: All to prepare an example of the format s/he is responsible for.
Ongoing.

11- [PENDING]: Yves to create a list of the attendee for the F2F.
Done.
 

Discussion
==========

We briefely discussed BugZilla. CL mentionned that we needed to make sure the keep the bugs linked to the emails when necessary.

YS noted that for DocBook the bidi-directional data category is implemented differently as in ITS. This was already noted by
Masayasu Ishikawa (http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2551).

With regard to DocBook, CL noted that it's a format that offers many customization possibilities and maybe a way to integrate ITS in
DocBook is to go that road.

We discussed some of the requirements:

- Constraints.
The wiki text is here:
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0506ReqConstraints>
And latest summary with comments are here:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005OctDec/0042>
CL mentionned an earlier email that summarizes some thought on a general mechanism:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0043
CL also mentionned another possible type of constraints: placeholders and common notation for 'variables' (like %%1', {0}, \n\t,
etc.).
YS wondered if it was a constraint or something to do with notation issue. We had a consensus to keep this in the back of our mind
when working on constraints.
We discussed XLIFF approaches on constraints, DD noted that we may be able to re-use some of what is defined there. YS noted that
some constraints (like max length in byte) may require a lot of additional info (e.g. font info, etc.) in order to be useable. DD
and CL noted that maybe a generic holder could be used.
YS and DD to try to come up with some example of possible solutions to see which direction is better for ITS.

- Term identification:
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification>
To move to WD status

- Limited impact
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505LimitImpact>
CL noted that we address this with the dislocated mechanism.
The wiki text mentionned things we will not use but just as notes.
To move to WD status.

- Identifying language/locales
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale>
To move to WD status.


Other Business
==============

- Face-to-face meeting is next week.
All info is here: <http://www.w3.org/International/its/ftf-200512-Didcot.html>
CL asked if we could get the list of where people would be for logistic purposes. YS to send email for this.

- Next teleconference: normally Wednesday Dec-07, same time if it's possible to hold one from the F2F meeting.


ACTION ITEMS for next week
==========================

1- [PENDING]: Christian and Felix to create a paragraph on the data categories and the relation to realizations.

2- [PENDING]: All to prepare an example of the format s/he is responsible for.

3- [NEW]: DD and YS to try to prepare some example of solutions for the constraints.

4- [NEW]: YS to move some of the 'near WD status' wiki requirements to 'wd status' and update the Req document.

5- [NEW]: YS to start working on the Techniques document.

6- [NEW]: YS to post email about the F2F attendees info.


Cheers,
-yves
Received on Wednesday, 30 November 2005 16:24:50 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:43:06 UTC