W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > October to December 2005

Minutes i18n ITS WG 2005-11-09

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:39:26 +0900
To: "public-i18n-its@w3.org" <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.sz0fb0zyx1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec>

Hi all,

the minutes of yesterday's meeting are at

http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html

and in this mail as text.

Best, Felix.


    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               i18n ITS WG

9 Nov 2005

    [2]Agenda

       [2]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005OctDec/0077.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Felix, Sebastian, Yves

    Regrets
           Andrzej, Christian, Damian, Goutam, Richard

    Chair
           Yves

    Scribe
           Felix

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]scope attributes
          2. [6]section on linginfo
          3. [7]about section 5
          4. [8]other editor notes
          5. [9]summary
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

scope attributes

    SR: we use same schema fragments in all contexts (for scope)
    ... another problem: all attributes are i nsitu in the ITS namespace
    ... as it stands, the attributes are non qualified

    FS: so we should have everything qualified, all attributes?

    SR: that is a little bit ugly
    ... but otherwise we would have to maintain two schema fragments
    ... for such problems, we need test documents / test suites
    ... two other things:

    as for "locinfo":

    scribe: it contains completely free text
    ... which is against our recommendation

    YS: do you mean we would have translatable text in the locinfo?

    SR: yes, might be.
    ... or we might want to write s.t. like "this <p> element has to be
    handled carefully"
    ... another problem:
    ... we have data categories and scopes
    ... why don't we just have one scope?

    YS: I see

    SR: in an instance document you are able to specify two different
    things with e.g. translateScope and locinfoScope
    ... but we need a guide which says what happens if there is a
    conflict

    YS: you have a default for each scope
    ... if the defaults are different, than there might be s.t. missing

    SR: for such cases, again we need more examples
    ... I don't know what to do for the locinfo case
    ... a possibility might be to allow a <locinfo> child
    ... the same might be true for <linginfo>
    ... you might want to say for both to say "you have a child or an
    attribute"

    YS: most of your concerns seem to be about the dislocated case and
    the in situ case (the latter with attributes)

    SR: that is only one part of my concern
    ... it bothers me more if all attributes are in the same namespace

    YS: you are right, we need some samples

    SR: another point: the "quo vadis" example
    ... another example: "motherboard" which should not refer to a femal
    parent

    YS: that is a good example for a term

    FS: so I will use "motherboard" instead of "quo vadis"

    SR: what about the boolean data type? that might be an issue

section on linginfo

    YS: if we have nothing to say, let's take it out again

    FS: so I will take the "linginfo" section out of the document

about section 5

    [11]http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#d2e
    1500

      [11]  
http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#d2e1500

    SR: what to do about this?

    YS: we should check if these document types already have ITS like
    information

    SR: open document format is interesting

    [12]http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#rub
    y-implementation

      [12]  
http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#ruby-implementation

    SR: so there are two topics in section 5:
    ... 1) this is what a user of ITS + a format should do with this
    format
    ... 2)this is what is already in this format

    FS: a mapping between such formats and ITS is a another point

    SR: like the equiv element in the TEI

    YS: should we find one person who is responsible?

    FS: that is a good idea

    SR: we could ask Damian to handle open document and docbook

    FS: I could handle DITA

other editor notes

    [Ed. note: Are you all happy with the title of the document / the
    abstract?]

    SR: should it be "ILTS"?

    YS: maybe we don't need its at the end

    SR: "Copyright c TODO W3CR" is strange

    FS: that is an stylesheet error, I will look at that

    YS: sec. 1.2:

    [Ed. note: I am biased: of course one could describe here why we are
    doing this, but this still seems to me repeating what is in the
    requirements document.]

    YS: maybe a generic paragraph from the req document in sec. 1.2

    FS: I will take a look

    <scribe> ACTION: YS to find examples for sec. 1.2 [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    YS: I see a lot of bad XML files every day
    ... remove [Ed. note: This is for my action item on extensibiligy]

    FS: O.K.

    YS: formatting question for the examples
    ... there is no separation if there are two examples in a row

    FS: I will take a look at the stylesheets

    YS: as for the DTD case, we can use the documentRule stuff
    ... so I do have a way to use ITS
    ... we need to mention what you should do in the DTD case

    FS: I will integrate a note in the document about that

    YS: next node: [Ed. note: I Added this to explain the difference
    between schemaRule and documentRule. Any comments?]
    ... I had no comments
    ... next comment [Ed. note: I have the feeling that the following is
    mainly a repetition of what is in the scope section anyway. But if
    we leave it out, there is not much left here ...]

    FS: that comment is not valid anymore, I will take it out

    YS: [Ed. note: I don't know what to put into here - any ideas?]
    ... we agree to remove it
    ... next comment: .[Ed. note: This is the same as an example in
    section 3.2.3, but I thought it is helpful. I added examples for
    every data category, what do you think?]
    ... I liked the example FS sent before the meeting
    ... the issue is just that you cannot have two ruby attributes which
    have ruby text, but maybe that is not a big issue

summary

    YS: if we address the changes from today, this is ready for a wd

    FS: we should have test files for the f2f

    YS: yes, and each of us should take a format they know and work with

    <scribe> ACTION: everybody to create examples of ITS applications in
    schemas / documents he is familar with [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    SR: publishing is o.k., it is only borderline cases which we can
    tackle later

    <scribe> ACTION: next meeting we will vote about publication, please
    read the WD [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to integrate what we discussed today into the
    odd document until Thursday evening (Japanese time) [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    FS: I will do no editing between Thursday night and Friday night
    (Japanese time)

    SR: I will use that time to tackle the examples etc. in the odd file

    <scribe> ACTION: YS to create an agenda for the f2f [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    YS: if you have ideas for the f2f, please tell me

    Sebastian?

    I forgot an important point: could you write a paragraph about ODD?
    We should mention ODD in the document in any case.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: everybody to create examples of ITS applications in
    schemas / documents he is familar with [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: felix to integreate what we discussed today into the
    odd document until Thursday evening (Japanese time) [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: next meeting we will vote about publication, please
    read the WD [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: YS to create an agenda for the f2f [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: YS to find examples for sec. 1.2 [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/09-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version 1.127
     ([24]CVS log)
     $Date: 2005/11/10 05:36:07 $

      [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 10 November 2005 05:39:33 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:43:06 UTC