W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > July to September 2005

[I18N ITS] Teleconference Minutes 2005-08-31 and looking for scribes

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:36:37 +0900
To: "public-i18n-its@w3.org" <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.swevbbkzx1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec.w3.mag.keio.ac.jp>
Hi all,

The I18N ITS Teleconference Minutes 2005-08-31 are at

http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html

And attached to this mail. As for the next meeting, I will not attend, and  
Christian is on vacation. Please find another scribe at the next meeting  
and the meeting after that. You should practice, because it is not  
possible that only Christian and me will scribe at the f2f, and Yves  
cannot scribe *and* share.

Thanks for your help. Best,

Felix
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                  I18N ITS WG

31 Aug 2005

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Christian, Diane, Felix, Goutam, Tim, Yves

   Regrets
          Karunesh, Masaki, Andrzej

   Chair
          Yves

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]ACTION ITEMS
         2. [5]F2f
         3. [6]Requirements
         4. [7]Other business
     * [8]Summary of Action Items

     _________________________________________________________________

ACTION ITEMS

   <scribe> ACTION: RI to contact somebody from W3C about feedback
   (PENDING) [recorded in
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

   <scribe> ACTION: FS to contact person from ATOM (PENDING) [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

   ACTION (DONE): Yves to adapt changes from wd and wiki

   <YvesS>
   [11]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/004
   0.html

     [11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/0040.html

   ACTION (DONE): Felix to post a reading list

   CL: about the reading list
   ... should we all choose something from the reading list

   Felix: yes

   Yves: let's talk about that now

   <YvesS>
   [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/004
   0.html

     [12] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/0040.html

   Yves: about namespaces
   ... what should we concentrate on?

   CL: many things seems to be relevant
   ... if we want to come up with a general approach for at least 3
   schema languages

   Yves: let's concentrate on xml schema
   ... then relax ng, then schematron

   xml schema on namespaces: On Namespaces: 67-99

   yves: other items are sometimes difficult, sometimes easy
   ... other comments on the reading list?

   cl: about xlink
   ... in the xlink spec we see other approaches on combining new
   namespaces

   yves: that's a good idea, let's add it to the reading list

   fs: we can concentrate on the examples in the xlink spec

   Yves: xml schema, namespaces, relax ng and schematron (basics), xlink
   as an example for element combination as the reading list

   <scribe> ACTION: (DONE) YS to reestablish def for "data category" in
   the definitions [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

   <YvesS> [14]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqKeyDefinitions

     [14] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqKeyDefinitions

   Yves: could we explain it more in detail?

   CL: There is one in the TC 37
   ... I will research on that again

   <scribe> ACTION: CL and others to make research on data categories
   definitions [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

   ACTION (Pending): RI to post an email to the Activity about the
   definition of "internationalization" and "localization"[recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04x]

   <scribe> ACTION: For the f2f, see action item list at
   [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/004
   2.html [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

     [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/0042.html

F2f

   Yves: all, take care of the hotel reservation
   ... and prepare the xml schema stuffs
   List of action items for the f2f:
   - All to think about becoming an co-editor of the recomendation which
   describes the implementation of ITS.
   - All to book hotel for the face-to-face meeting (Several of us should
   be at the Hotel Aldo). - All to prepare possible questions related to
   XSD.
   - All to read up on namespaces.
   - FS to prepare Ruby information.
   - YS to prepare "indicator of translatability"

Requirements

   [19]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqKeyDefinitions

     [19] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqKeyDefinitions

   Yves: just tackled that

   [20]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale

     [20] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale

   <YvesS> [21]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale

     [21] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale

   Yves: I have taken this other from Masaki at the moment

   <chriLi> Section 2.12 [22]http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/

     [22] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/

   <scribe> ACTION: FS: add a reference to RFC 3066 bis to
   [23]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

     [23] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale

   CL: could we add a reference to the xml spec?

   FS: the definition of the values is in the rfc

   <GoutamSaha> dear colleagues, may I request you all to peruse the
   generalized three schemas scheme that I submitted to ITS-WG toward
   meaningful translation

   <YvesS> [25]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505LimitImpact

     [25] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505LimitImpact

   <scribe> ACTION: CL to add a paragraph on the role of xml:lang to the
   summary section, FS to add a paragraph somewhere to the role of values
   of xml:lang [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

   Yves: limited impact is ready for working draft

   <YvesS> [27]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqAttrAndTrans

     [27] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqAttrAndTrans

   Yves: very few comments on this
   ... it is an important requirement
   ... everybody agree?

   Tim: I agree

   <GoutamSaha> yes, I agree

   Yves: I will move it to working draft

   CL: one comment
   ... what is the requirement?
   ... is it a recommendation?
   ... it would have to go into the guidelines
   ... it is not related to technologies, as it is worded now
   ... as for technologies, we should say: the its mechanism should
   provide the same mechanism for attributes as for elements, or other
   mechanisms

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to make rewording of
   [28]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqAttrAndTrans, with respect to CL
   comments [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action08]

     [28] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqAttrAndTrans

   <YvesS> [30]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification

     [30] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves about
   [31]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification to modify the
   examples of the guidelines [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action09]

     [31] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification

   <YvesS> [33]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqCDATA

     [33] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqCDATA

   yves: that needs some work

   Tim: will change it to the current format

   yves: two issues
   ... if you translate markup, you cannot distinguish the text from it
   ... the other problem is how to put the markup into the text
   ... so could we reword it: we need to distingush between text and
   code. CDATA is just an example of that.

   <GoutamSaha> that's right

   <scribe> ACTION: Tim to change the CDATA req [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action10]

   CL: are there guidelines what should be done if somebody has to use
   CDATA sections?

   Tim: it would be o.k.
   ... if there is a CDATA section, you need to make clear somehow that
   the content is, e.g. Java code
   ... so far it is left to the translator

   Yves: looking from experience, if you have a cdata section, you can
   trick parsers to get rid of the cdata section

   sometimes you know that all the stuff is xml stuff

   <chriLi> General thought: We may work along the lines of both infoset
   and DOM ([35]http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_nodetype.asp)

     [35] http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_nodetype.asp)

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to investigate what is not in the infoset
   [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action11]

   <YvesS> [37]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0506ReqMultilingualDoc

     [37] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0506ReqMultilingualDoc

   <chriLi> The req should rather talk about "parallel content"

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to reword
   [38]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0506ReqMultilingualDoc recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action12]

     [38] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0506ReqMultilingualDoc

   <YvesS> [40]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqBidi

     [40] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqBidi

   Yves: not much to say about the requirement itself
   ... the solution will be more challenging
   ... put that as WD

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to put
   [41]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqBidi to wd recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action13]

     [41] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqBidi

Other business

   CL: goutam sent a mail: "we should consider to a generalized scheme"

   "A Syntactic & Semantic Approach to I18N and L10N"

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to write a mail to Goutam write a mail to
   everybody about his purposes on the f2f topic [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action14]

   CL: Felix on additional use case for mapping specification
   ... would be good

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to add an additional paragraph to the mapping
   req [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action15]

   <chriLi> Apologies in advance for the next two meetings

   <chriLi> vacation :-)

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to send a list of topics at the f2f to FS
   [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action16]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: CL and others to make research on data categories
   definitions [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
   ACTION (Pending): RI to post an email to the Activity about the
   definition of "internationalization" and "localization"[recorded in
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04x]
   [NEW] ACTION: CL to add a paragraph on the role of xml:lang to the
   summary section, FS to add a paragraph somewhere to the role of values
   of xml:lang [recorded in
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to add an additional paragraph to the mapping req
   [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action15]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to investigate what is not in the infoset
   [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: For the f2f, see action item list at
   [51]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/004
   2.html [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: FS: add a reference to RFC 3066 bis to
   [53]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale recorded in
   [54]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Tim to change the CDATA req [recorded in
   [55]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action10]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves about
   [56]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification to modify the
   examples of the guidelines [recorded in
   [57]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to make rewording of
   [58]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqAttrAndTrans, with respect to CL
   comments [recorded in
   [59]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to put [60]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqBidi
   to wd [recorded in
   [61]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action13]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to reword
   [62]http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0506ReqMultilingualDoc recorded in
   [63]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to send a list to FS about the f2f [recorded in
   [64]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action16]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to write a mail to Goutam write a mail to everybody
   about his purposes on the f2f topic [recorded in
   [65]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action14]

     [51] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JulSep/0042.html
     [53] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale
     [56] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification
     [58] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqAttrAndTrans,
     [60] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqBidi
     [62] http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0506ReqMultilingualDoc

   [PENDING] ACTION: FS to contact person from ATOM [recorded in
   [66]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: RI to contact somebody from W3C about feedback
   [recorded in
   [67]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

   [DONE] ACTION: YS to reestablish def for "data category" in the
   definitions [recorded in
   [68]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/31-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

   [End of minutes]

     _________________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [69]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([70]CVS log)
    $Date: 2005/09/01 06:32:22 $

     [69] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [70] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 1 September 2005 06:36:53 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:45 GMT