W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > January to March 2005

Minutes 2005-03-31: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30:40 -0700
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <HYDRAJYnLCkdm1QLtgi0000ee1d@hydra.RWS.LOCAL>
Minutes 2005-03-31: ITS teleconference

ATTENDEES:

- DS: Diane Stoick (Boeing)
- RI: Richard Ishida (W3C)
- MI: Masaki Itagaki (Invited Expert)
- CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
- AZ: Andrzej Zydron (Invited Expert)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)

REGRETS:

- FS: Felix Sasaki (W3C)
- TF: Tim Foster (Sun)

AGENDA:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0018.html



=== COLLABORATIVE WORK, WIKI:

RI did not have time to follow up with the Wiki administrator. However, he find a way to trigger email post each time the wiki is
updated, so that would allow to keep track of changes and keep people posted on the modifications.

RI to follow up on how we can set up the Wiki at the W3C.



=== MILESTONES:

- YS posted new tentative dates with re-wording as per last week action item
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0017.html

No dissent, so YS to post the new updated dates on the ITS main pages.



=== FACE-TO-FACE MEETING:

Confirmed attendees: Richard Ishida, Christian Lieske, Felix Sasaki, Yves Savourel, Andrzej Zydron (will be a little late). Naoyuki
Nomura alas had to change plans and won't be able to make it to Berlin.

Only CL will be able to connect during the meeting [Only SAP hardware should access SAP network]. We will use the projector if there
is need for all to see Web pages.

Masaki and Diane are planning to dial in. We discussed how to best make use of the time and decided that having the teleconference
the last hour of the meeting would be best.
YS to setup the teleconference and post the information.



=== DISCUSSION ON THE REQUIREMENTS:

We discussed the "Term identification" item:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0065.html
AZ mentioned that the draft for TBX-Link was not available yet. But he posted a short summary.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0070.html
CL posted also an example from the XLIFF mailing list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0069.html
RI wondered if maybe the current wording was too vague and MI provided more explanations. He will post an updated draft with
examples.

We discussed the "Locale/language identification item:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0038.html
MI noted that we could go different ways: have several requirements per "granularity": language, locale, style, etc. or have only
one requirements that described all.
YS mentioned that we should have some kind of glossary. RI said it was discussed at the I18N activity level but not done. YS to
start a page with terms so ITS can define or link to definitions important terms. MI will post a draft with the different levels he
is thinking of.

We discussed the "Handling of entities" item:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0063.html
YS summarize the latest draft. Need to add wording for NCR vs. character entities, and to correct the standalone error noted by MD.
AZ noted that "boiler-plate" entities were useable when "linguistically complete" (and rather useful).
CL mentioned that it was often difficult to make sure the text was "linguistically complete".
RI pointed out one of his articles on fragmented text:
http://www.multilingual.com/ishida43.htm
AZ noted that boiler-plate text was useful for example in DITA.
AZ to post a set of links about DITA.



=== NEXT MEETING:

Next meeting is the face-to-face meeting: Apr-05 at 15:00 UTC.
See info here:

Info for people calling in the face-to-face meeting to be posted later.

Note: There will be NO TELECONFERENCE THAT WEEK ON THURSDAY.

Next "normal" teleconference will be Apr-14.



=== ACTION ITEMS:

- RI to follow up on the discussions about setting up the Wiki with EWS and W3C.

- YS to setup teleconference for the day of the face-to-face meeting, and post info.

- YS to start a glossary page.

- YS to post the latest milestones on the ITS main pages.

- YS to ask FS if his schema presentation could be posted to the mailing list for the people not able to attend the face-to-face
meeting.

- AZ to post information about DITA.

- Everyone to follow up on their work-item(s) draft if needed.

- Volunteers: to take ownership of one or more requirement and start to define it more formally. (See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0034.html for an example).


Cheers,
-yves
Received on Thursday, 31 March 2005 18:30:49 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:44 GMT