W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > January to March 2005

Minutes 2005-03-10: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:31:36 -0700
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <HYDRAAEWopcnvy3JdZZ0000affd@hydra.RWS.LOCAL>

Minutes 2005-03-10: ITS teleconference

ATTENDEES:

- CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
- DS: Dianne Stoick (Boeing)
- MI: Masaki Itagaki (Invited Expert)
- TF: Tim Foster (Sun)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)

REGRETS:

- AZ: Andrzej Zydron (Invited Expert)

AGENDA:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0008.html



=== NEW MEMBER:

SAP has join the Working Group and Christian Lieske is the representative. Christian is based in Waldorf, Germany. Involved with
linguistic-related work, as well as XML. He has been involved with the OASIS XLIFF working group, LISA OSCAR and the OLIF effort.



=== FACE-TO-FACE MEETING:

SAP may be able to provide a local for the meeting. CL is working on it.
YS has counted 6 members who should be able to attend.



=== COLLABORATIVE WORK: WIKI

AZ has posted an example of wiki (http://www.xwiki.com).
YS still has to get the information about:
a) would it be possible to use the same wiki as the GEO WG (http://esw.w3.org/topic/FrontPage), but with write access protected.
b) if not, is it OK to use another wiki (outside the W3C).



=== DISCUSSION ON THE REQUIREMENTS:

- The requirement draft for "Indicator of container size" has been posted:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JanMar/0034.html
As well as some comments.
- MI asked clarification of localization properties, tags set, etc.
The discussion established a basic common understanding of those concepts. YS to summarize and post this for possible inclusion in
the requirements documents.
- Going back to the "container size" topic, YS mentioned his concern about units and additional information needed with it (e.g.
encoding with bytes, font info with pixel, etc.)
- TF and CL established the idea of using a more generic approach where the notion of constraints would be separated from the type
of constrains, making things more flexible. CL to post an example.
- Same principle would apply to the "allowed characters" constraints.

- Discussion on entities.
Need to look at both entities declaration and entity references.
Attendees shared their experience with regard to dealing with entities.
Probably mostly for guidelines. CL+YS to post a start of description for entities requirements.

- Discussion on the use of CDATA.
Everyone ha run into issue with CDATA sections and inline codes seen as text.
CL pointed to an article by Norman Walsh (http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2003/08/20/embedded.html). TF to post a summary of the problem.


=== OTHER BUSINESS:

- None.
- Next meeting will be Thursday Mar-17 at 15:00 UTC.



=== ACTION ITEMS:

- YS to check if it's possible to use the EWS wiki with write access control and if not, if using a (secure) wiki external to the
W3C is OK.

- YS to summarize definitions for localization properties, localization directives/tag set.

- TF to post a start of description of the issues related to the use of CDATA sections.

- CL to post some samples to illustrate the concept of generic constraints.

- CL+YS to post a start of description for the issues related to entities.


Cheers,
-yves
Received on Thursday, 10 March 2005 21:32:13 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:44 GMT