Allowed Characters

From: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:27:52 -0700
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>

> From Tim's comments on Requirements for localisable DTD design:
>
> 2.17 Allowed Characters
> How can you enforce this ? Isn't it up to the content authoring
> tool to do this job ? Are there hooks that already provide such
> functionality ? (eg. notes to translators imploring them to use
> only ASCII, or strings of a certain length ?)

I'm not sure how much such an information on what characters can be used will be
used, but it seems a logical complement to things such as the 'maximum size'
information, etc.

>From past experience I recall mostly two cases:
- Preventing the use of forbiden characters in the translation of paths and
filenames (while I'm not a fan of localizing paths, sometimes it's simply
required by the translation customer).
- Using half-width Katakana in Japanese (for translation of LCD panels with
limited font resources).

-ys