W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > January to March 2005

Minutes 2005-02-10: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:29:05 -0700
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <HYDRAxNQlDvIihQa60L00005eae@hydra.RWS.LOCAL>

Minutes 2005-02-10: ITS teleconference

ATTENDEES:

- RI: Richard Ishida (W3C)
- FR: François Richard (HP)
- TF: Tim Foster (Sun)
- AZ: Andrzej Zydron (XML-Intl)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)

REGRETS:

- DS: Dianne Stoick (Boeing)

AGENDA:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005JanM
ar/0000.html




=== MEMBERS PRESENTATION:

- Each attendee presented himself. Here is a (very) brief
summary:
YS, with ENLASO, based in Colorado.
RI, with W3C, based in England.
FR: with HP, based in France.
TF: with Sun, based in Ireland.
AZ: with XML-Intl, based in England.

- YS gave some information on the other members not on the
call:
Martin Dürst, with W3C, based in Japan.
Dianne Stoick, with Boeing, based near Seattle.
Najib Tounsi, with EMI, based in Morocco.
Masaki Itagaki, with Aliquantum, based in Colorado.



=== DAY, TIME, AND FREQUENCY OF THE MEETING:

- Thursday seems to be the best day for the teleconference
(Andrzej does have a conflict with the OASIS TWS meeting,
but he likely will be able to work around it).

- 16:00 UTC seems to be the best time for now.

- The meetings will be weekly for now. Note: No meeting next
week.



=== FACE-TO-FACE MEETING:

- The F2F meeting will be in Berlin, Tuesday April 5th (just
before the Unicode conference). The precise details are
still to be determined.



=== INITIAL DISCUSSION ON THE REQUIREMENTS:

- Everyone looked at RI and YS's draft requirements document
drawn up  several years ago.
(http://people.w3.org/rishida/localizable-dtds/)
They seem to cover a lot of the issues, but several have
also additional ideas. YS Mentioned we should look at
existing  i18n-like tag sets.

- RI explained the Patent Policy aspect. Everyone is
strongly encourage to read the material on Patent Policy:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/

- RI explained the different type of deliverables
(Requirements document (WG Note), ITS namespace (Rec), and
Techniques (WG Note)) and detailed the different steps for
each of them. See the Process Document for more information.
We should be able to draw on the experience of the GEO WG
for the Techniques.

- RI explained the usage of the mailing list
(public-i18n-its for the general technical discussions,
members-i18n-its for the meeting agenda/info and for
members-only discussions).
The public-i18n-its is visible to anyone, members-i18n-its
is visible to all W3C members (not just the WG members).
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/

- RI and YS noted that their previous draft of requirements
document is just a very early set of ideas, to get us
started. The new Requirements document will be re-written
from scratch.

- Comments and ideas for the requirements are to be posted
on the public-i18n-its list to start the discussions.



=== OTHER BUSINESS:

- AZ indicated he had problem with login in the W3C IRC Web
client. RI talked about Zakim and W3C IRC Web client. AZ and
FR were finally able to log in. YS to add that the W3C IRC
Web client link in the teleconference info emails.

Joining IRC via the Web:
http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc
Enter a nickname (e.i.YvesS), your real name (i.e. Yves
savourel), the I18n channel: "#i18n", and click 'Login'.

Joining with an IRC client:
Use the IRC server "irc.w3.org:6665"
Join the channel "#i18n"
There are many IRC client for various platforms, many of
them free
(http://www.google.com/search?&q=free+IRC+clients).

- RI noted that we will need a 'scribe' to take the minutes
at each meeting and possibly an editor as soon as we will
start writing down the requirements.

- No meeting next week. Next meeting will be Thursday Feb-24
at 16:00UTC, YS to send email to members-i18n-its list to
confirm next meeting info. (Note: FR will not be able to
make it).



=== ACTION ITEMS:

- Everyone: To send comments, ideas, etc. on requirements
(to the public-i18n-its list).
Make sure to start separate threads for the distinct
subjects you want to address.

- Everyone: To encourage anyone interested in joining the
WG.
Received on Thursday, 10 February 2005 23:29:36 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:44 GMT