Re: CAM

Hi Andrej,

Thanks for the links, I already had a look in the PDF and the PPT before
I wrote the mail to you.

> CAM is not just about NOUN definitions. CAM can define
> BusinessUseContext rules, DataValidations, ContentReference rules as
> well as Assembly structures. All very powerful and flexible.

I saw the mechanisms you're mentioning, also the list of predicates you
pointed me to. I'm just not sure of the interplay between all these. I
also had a look at the CAM specification
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/5914/OASIS-CAM-Specifications-1_0-RC-017C-021904.doc
But it didn't make things clearer to me.

> My current understanding (still incomplete) of CAM is that it should
> provide a sufficient vocabulary

Is it a vocabulary? or rather a set of predicates with some processing
directives?

> to be able to describe semantically the requirements for
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505Translatability,
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqAttrAndTrans,
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505WordCount and possibly provide a
> mechanism for http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505LimitImpact. It would do
> this via an external CAM XML definition document that would be
> applicable to a given DTD/XSD type, and/or individual document
> instance. This decouples the problem of an ITS tag set for the above
> topics from embedding and the intendant problems.

I'm just worried about the mass of problems CAM seems to try to solve at
the same time. Could you come up with an example, as simple as possible?
E.g. you have an XHTML document like

 xmlns:its="http://www.example.org/its" xml:lang="en" lang="en"
 its:translate="yes">
 </head>
  <h1 its:translate="no">World News - 2 May 2005</h1> ...

and you want to validate it against an DTD for XHTML, and you have a
XSLT stylesheet which relies on a <p> element without child elements
from another namespace than "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml". How would
you describe validation and XSLT transformation processes with CAM? It
would be great to have such an example, so that we also could use if for
the EXTREME article.

Best, Felix.