W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > April to June 2005

Minutes 2005-06-01: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:27:39 -0600
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <HYDRAqVvPdLFYxc9NUp00000450@hydra.RWS.LOCAL>

Minutes 2005-06-01: ITS teleconference

ATTENDEES:

- TF: Tim Foster (Sun)
- MI: Masaki Itagaki (Invited Expert)
- CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)
- DS: Diane Stoick (Boeing)
- FS: Felix Sasaki (W3C)
- AZ: Andrzej Zydron (Invited Expert)

REGRETS:

- NN: Naoyuki Nomura (Ricoh)
- RI: Richard Ishida (W3C)

AGENDA:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005AprJun/0036.html



=== PREVIOUS ACTION ITEMS:

1.1. FS to get comments from Michael SMQ on glossary entry for schema languages.
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504Glossary>
Done: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005AprJun/0037.html>

1.2. NN to follow up on Running Server Software in Multilingual Environment.
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqMultilangServer>
Not done yet.

1.3. RI to ask to the appropriate W3C contact how to handle feedback from non-WG-members.
--> Next meeting

1.4. RI to contact person for Atom.
--> Next meeting (shall we keep that action item?)

1.5. RI to take ownership of the ruby and bidi requirement.
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqRenderingInfo>
Done for Bidi.

1.6. All: Try to get feedback from their companies (i.e. via AC reps).
Ongoing.

1.7. Ask RI for other ways to get feedback on ITS.
Discussed last meeting.



=== DISCUSSION ON THE REQUIREMENTS:

- We discussed "Usage Scenario: Content Authoring:
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqTechWriter>
YS asked if the changes were OK. AZ noted that external links are likely to become widespread and mentioning them is important. CL
noted the changes looked OK.
YS ask what term should be use for type of document (He used "document types" so far, FS suggested "markup vocabularies"). YS to try
to find a better wording.

- We discussed "Identifying Language/Locale"
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale>
MI wondered if we should not have a separate requirement for addressing multilingual text. YS to create one new wiki page for this
and re-use parts of AZ text for this.

- We discussed "Cultural Aspects of the Content"
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqCulturalAspects>
The concepts "prescriptive" vs. "descriptive" was debated. The consensus was to move the description of this case to the Quick
Guidelines section. CL noted that we should make sure to keep track of the guidelines notes so we can compile them for the
Guidelines document.
TF wondered to what point tools (e.g. MT/TM) can take advantage of such information and whether a note or a specific tag should be
used. The consensus was that it is a matter of implementation.

- We discussed "Purpose specification/mapping"
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqPurposeSpecMap>
CL mentioned that the topic of existing mapping mechanisms was discussed last meeting. There are some existing solutions, and we can
look more closely at things like DSDL. YS asked if we were looking for mapping from host format to concepts or from Host format to
ITS. CL said: the latter.
TF noted that some of the requirements may lead to aspects more difficult to map, and he mentioned the constraints requirement. YS
to re-work that work item <http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqContainerSize>.
FS noted that he was planning on discussing the mapping topic in his paper for Exterm Markup. He would use some of CL earlier
summary, and additional input. He will target next week for a first draft. This work can also be used in slides form for the project
review from the Team.
CL to write a summary for the requirement.


=== OTHER BUSINESS:

- YS asked if anyone had ideas for getting feedback. So far we have the following avenues:
+ FS (+possibly CL) paper
+ The project review by the Team
+ Internal review by colleagues of WG members
+ The public comments once the first draft of the requirements is available.

- We discussed briefly the next face-to-face meeting.
There was no objection to a several-days meeting. Some mentioned that they would be Ok with week-end too (but we would avoid if
possible).
YS asked if anyone could host at the beginning of September in Europe. CL said SAP in Waldorf, Germany would be a possibility. FS to
check what are the possibilities for the meeting to be hosted by the W3C in Europe as another option.

- YS mentioned that RI, FS and himself had worked on getting the official Requirement document going (style sheets, XSL templates,
XML source, etc.) It's taking form and we have already basic output. We can keep working on the wiki pages to fine tune the text,
port the text to the W3C Note format should be smooth.

- Next teleconference is Wednesday Jun-08 at 14:00 UTC.



=== ACTION ITEMS:

01. NN to follow up on Running Server Software in Multilingual Environment.
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqMultilangServer>
Not done yet. --> Next meeting

02. RI to ask to the appropriate W3C contact how to handle feedback from non-WG-members.
--> Next meeting

03. RI to contact person for Atom.
--> Next meeting (Shall we keep that action item?)

04. All: Try to get feedback from their companies (i.e. via AC reps).
Ongoing.

05. YS to update "Usage Scenario: Content Authoring" as per discussion.

06. YS to create a new requirement item for "Multilingual Documents"
(spin of "Identifying Language/Locale").

07. MI to complete changes in "Identifying Language/Locale"
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale>

08. MI to work on "Cultural Aspects of the Content"
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqCulturalAspects>

08. YS to generalize the "container size" requirement
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqContainerSize>

09. FS to work on paper draft for 'Extreme Markup'.

10. FS to check if the W3C/ERCIM hosting a face-to-face meeting would be an option.

11. CL to write a summary section for "Purpose specification/Mapping"
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqPurposeSpecMap>


Cheers,
-yves
Received on Wednesday, 1 June 2005 17:28:00 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:45 GMT