[ESW Wiki] Update of "its0505ReqNamingScheme" by YvesSavourel

From: <w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:33:53 -0000
To: w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "ESW Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by YvesSavourel:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqNamingScheme

  === Summary ===

  It should be possible for translation tools to rely on a finite list of element names in a given schema. '''[[FS-''' This is a problematic requirement, because of the ANY operator. In DTDs [http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-element-content],  ANY requires that all elements in the content model are declared. For XML Schema [http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#ref32] or RELAX NG [http://relaxng.org/compact-tutorial-20030326.html#id2816343] (in RELAX NG the respective construct is a name class '*') ANY allows any element in the content model, even if it is not declared. Actually this is a very powerful extension of what is possible with DTDs, e.g. you can combine your schema with XSLT / schematron, no matter what version, i.e. what set of XSLT elements you are using. It might be hard to convince people to give up that feature. Proposal for a reformulation: 'It should be possible for translation tools to rely on a finite list of element names in a given schema. Additional elements might be introduced to the schema, but they should have no influence on the application of the its tagset.'.''']]'''
+
+ '''[[YS-''' First I think we have to realize that many of the XML documents like with that type of element names do not even have corresponding schema. they are just well-formed. (Actually as far as I can tell there is a fair amount of XML files I see go through translation that have no corresponding schema/DTD). But you are right, the term 'finite' is probably not the right one. The issue is that the names are 'unpredictable', but I can't find a way to describe it. I'll think about it.''']]'''

  === Challenge/Issue ===
@@ -44, +46 @@

  [[MI One issue we might need to consider regarding this is specifying translatability. Translation tools usually specify either an element or an attribute as translatable/non-translatable. For example, you can specify <OK> as non-translatable, while <Cancel> is translatable. But if you do as <button id="OK".. or <button id="Cancel", then you cannot just disable translatability only for OK (unless otherwise a translation tool has some conditional mechanism in specifying translatability. This naming scheme may need to be considered only when translatablility doesn't matter.]]

+