[ESW Wiki] Update of "its0505ReqWhiteSpaces" by ChristianLieske

From: <w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 06:30:06 -0000
To: w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "ESW Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by ChristianLieske:

  The xml:space="preserve" attribute provides most likely a good solution for this requirement. But it could be also useful to have a mechanism to specify this property at the schema level.
+ [[CL XSD [http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#rf-whiteSpace] might also be sth. to be looked at.
+ "***"
+ XSL might also be sth. to be looked at. It not only provides a "preserve-space" but also a "strip-space".]]
  === Notes ===
  There are case where the white space handling can be overriden at the style sheet level only, bypassing information withing the XML document itself: CSS allows the property 'white-space' (See [http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/text.html#white-space-prop]).
+ [[CL I am not sure if we need to say sth. about whitespace-related changes (NEL) in XML 1.1 ]]
+ [[CL Should we possibly go for a general requirement (stated in the guidelines) along the lines of "canonicalize your XML" (see [http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#Example-WhitespaceInContent]).]]