W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > April to June 2005

Minutes 2005-05-12: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:52:33 -0600
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <HYDRA5FbEFYamNfN1Xh000015a8@hydra.RWS.LOCAL>

Minutes 2005-05-12: ITS teleconference

ATTENDEES:

- TF: Tim Foster (Sun)
- MI: Masaki Itagaki (Invited Expert)
- CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)
- DS: Diane Stoick (Boeing)

REGRETS:

- NN: Naoyuki Nomura (Ricoh)
- FS: Felix Sasaki (W3C)
- AZ: Andrzej Zydron (Invited Expert)

AGENDA:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005AprJun/0121.html



=== PREVIOUS ACTION ITEMS:

- FS to get comments from Michael SMQ on glossary entry for schema languages.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504Glossary)
FS tried to contact Michael but he is away for the moment.
--> Action item for next meeting.


- NN to follow up on Running Server Software in Multilingual Environment.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqMultilangServer).
--> Action item for next meeting.


- RI to take ownership of the ruby and bidi requirement.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqRenderingInfo)
--> Action item for next meeting.


- TF to solve the comments on CDATA.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqCDATA)
Done. Discussion:
YS was happy with the additions/changes TF made. Relevant comments can be removed.
YS noted that CDATA could help in some case for dealing with codes-seen-as-text (easier to work-around than with escaped codes).
TF that the problem was also that one cannot guess what is in the section to do anything with it, or one cannot add localization
information.
CL mentioned that one way around was possibly to come up with some kind of 'restype' attribute or processing instruction that would
label the section.
TF mentioned that mime types then would be a good candidate for this.
All agreed that labeling was just a last-resort solution, the idea is to avoid escaped codes (whether they are in CDATA or not).


- TF to work on the span-like document
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqSpan)
Done. Discussion: TF added wording based on MD's first comments.
YS asked clarifications for MD's comments at the bottom.
TF elaborated: the idea is that if elements have already some semantic attached (like <code>) one knows what to do with their
content. But he added that it may not be sufficient: see the example for the <its:donttranslate> tag in the Java code simple. He
also mentioned the possibility of using entity references for this.
CL noted that using "span" may be misleading, we have to make sure schema developers understand we are talking about any element
that allows to attached information to parts of content. TF will try to clarify the wording.


- YS to put some comments on the topic of subtypes of cross references.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqLinkedText)
Not done. Will try for next meeting.
--> Action item for next meeting.


- CL to add a glossary entry for "data category"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504Glossary)
Done, but in the "Key Definitions" document. CL to relocate the "data category" definition.
Discussion: The key idea is that we can have different implementations but the concept/information expressed is identical.
MI noted that we could see this as a mapping.
TF illustrated this with the <phrase> element in DocBook.


- RI to ask to the appropriate W3C contact how to handle feedback from non-WG-members.
--> Action item for next meeting.


- RI to bring up the question of shared glossary in the other groups of the I18N Activity.
--> Long term action item.


- RI to contact person for Atom.
--> Action item for next meeting.


- YS to post the wiki process page.
Half done. The page exists but not documented. It's here:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505WikiProcess


- AZ to start the requirement on "word count".
--> Action item for next meeting.



=== DISCUSSION ON THE REQUIREMENTS:

- We discussed "Identifying Language/Locale"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale)

CL noted that the topic may need some restructuring to match closer to the layout we discussed in the face-to-face meeting in
Berlin.
YS pointed to the example of the "Entity" requirement (http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqEntities) and we noticed that that item was
missing the summary. YS and CL to work on it.
Back to "Identifying Language/Locale":
CL mentioned that the requirement may need to make a difference between having identification mechanism in documents instances (e.g.
xml:lang) and the requirement of allowing such mechanism in the schemas (e.g. allowing to have xml:lang in most elements).
YS noted that RI had some concerns about the term "primary language".
CL added that GEO was using the term specifically.
YS to post a pointer to the definition used by the GEO WG.


- We discussed "Terminology Creation and Translation"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqTermCreationTrans)

Nobody on the call had any comments on this usage scenario. If there is no dissent we will probably change its status to 'working
draft' soon. So, please comment on it soon.


- We discussed "Usage Scenario: Software Resources"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqSoftwareResources)

YS made the changes based on FS' comments. FS was OK with them.
Nobody on the call had any additional comments on this usage scenario. If there is no dissent we will probably change its status to
'working draft' soon. So, please comment on it soon.
CL asked TF if Java would support XML resources soon.
TF answered that support was already in 1.5. and pointed us to the information:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html
CL noted that, if needed, we could try to push support for i18n features in the subsequent releases, based on our general findings
for ITS.



=== OTHER BUSINESS:

- CL mentioned that he is now having a conflict with the day of the weekly meeting. YS to post info and a request to change the day
of the meeting if possible.

- YS reminded everyone that we have to think about the best time/duration/location for the next face-to-face meeting. (As per W3C
process we need to have an 2 months notice before the date of the face-to-face. So currently July-12 would be the first possible
date). Any meeting in September would have to be decided at the latest around June.

- Next teleconference is (still for now) Thursday May-19 at 14:00 UTC.



=== ACTION ITEMS:

01- FS to get comments from Michael SMQ on glossary entry for schema languages.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504Glossary)

02- NN to follow up on Running Server Software in Multilingual Environment.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqMultilangServer).

03- RI to take ownership of the ruby and bidi requirement.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0505ReqRenderingInfo)

04- YS to put some comments on the topic of subtypes of cross references.
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqLinkedText)

05- RI to ask to the appropriate W3C contact how to handle feedback from non-WG-members.

06- RI to contact person for Atom.

07- AZ to start the requirement on "word count".

08- CL to relocate the "data category" definition.
Done: http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504Glossary

09- YS and CL to add the Summary in the "Entity" requirement
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqEntities)

10- YS to post a pointer to the definition of "primary language" used by the GEO WG.
Done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005AprJun/0141.html

11- YS to post a note on the possibility to change the day of the meeting.
Done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005AprJun/0014.html



=== LONG TERM ACTION ITEMS:

- RI to bring up the question of shared glossary in the other groups of the I18N Activity.



Cheers,
-yves
Received on Thursday, 12 May 2005 16:52:55 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:44 GMT