W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > April to June 2005

RE: Minutes 2005-04-21: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:27:33 -0600
To: <naoyuki.nomura@nts.ricoh.co.jp>
Cc: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <E1DOopc-0006iN-So@maggie.w3.org>

Thanks for the correction Naoyki.
I hope you recovered from the jet-lag.
Thanks also for following up with the use case.

-yves
 

-----Original Message-----
From: naoyuki.nomura@nts.ricoh.co.jp [mailto:naoyuki.nomura@nts.ricoh.co.jp] 
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 6:41 PM
To: ysavourel@translate.com
Cc: Tim.Foster@Sun.COM; public-i18n-its@w3.org
Subject: RE: Minutes 2005-04-21: ITS teleconference



So sorry to be sending two late regrets, but I joined the last 15 minutes of the TC yesterday, and chose not to interrupt what was
going on.  A week ago, I came back from Germany a few hours before TC and fell into coma because of the jet lag.

I will try to squeeze time to think about my use case, which has something to do with XMLDB, XQuery, InfoSet, and XML Signature in
its various styles.


Best regards,
--naoyuki N.


> Thanks for the correction Tim.
> -yves
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tim Foster [mailto:Tim.Foster@Sun.COM]
> Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:26 AM
> To: Yves Savourel
> Cc: public-i18n-its@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Minutes 2005-04-21: ITS teleconference
>
> Yep, that's cool, thanks for the minutes Yves! - minor typo, probably 
> rel ated to line noise : Solbook is our internal subset (or is it a 
> superset, I can't remember) of Docbook. I'll see if I can chat to No 
> rm about the use of entities in Docbook and if he's thought of the 
> i18n implications we were chatting about. I'll also see if he has 
> anything to say about CDATA sections...
>
> cheers,
> tim
>
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 18:22, Yves Savourel wrote:
> > Minutes 2005-04-21: ITS teleconference
> >
> > ATTENDEES:
> >
> > - RI: Richard Ishida (W3C)
> > - TF: Tim Foster (Sun)
> > - CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
> > - AZ: Andrzej Zydron (Invited Expert)
> > - YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)
> >
> > REGRETS:
> >
> > - MI: Masaki Itagaki (Invited Expert)
> > - FS: Felix Sasaki (W3C)
> > - NT: Najib Tounsi (EMI)
> >
> > AGENDA:
> >
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005AprJun/0004.
> > ht
> > ml
> >
> >
> >
> > === PREVIOUS ACTION ITEMS:
> >
> > - RI to look for contact person with Atom.
> > Not done yet --> action item for next time.
> >
> > - YS to contact Don Day (DITA chair) to see if anyone in their group 
> > could work with ITS.
> > An email has been sent to Don. No answer yet.
> > YS to follow up.
> >
> > - YS to start a glossary page.
> > YS has started the page, but not posted it yet --> action item for 
> > next time.
> >
> > - YS to post a process page to summarize the wiki steps (adapted 
> > from the GEO process).
> > YS has started the page, but not posted it yet --> action item for 
> > next time.
> >
> > - YS to work on the front matter parts (integrate the ideas put down 
> > at the face-to-face meeting for definitions, etc).
> > Done. See the several items in the "Introduction" section of the 
> > Work Items, on the ITS main page
> > (http://www.w3.org/International/its/#reqdocs)
> >
> >
> >
> > === DISCUSSION ON THE REQUIREMENTS:
> >
> > - We discussed "Usage Scenario: Technical Writer Using an Authoring 
> > Tool"
> > (http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqTechWriter)
> >
> > YS said he was agreeing with CL comments about the title.
> > AZ noted that maybe the section could discuss more of the text 
> > re-use aspect, which is more and more utilized. CL wondered if maybe 
> > that would be more something for the Entity handling requirement.
> >
> > TF also wondered if maybe the text was to broad, taking on more than 
> > ITS scope.
> > Wiki comments have been added.
> > RI mentioned that maybe we could have something related to non-Latin 
> > languages illustrating the ned for ITS: bidi markers for Arabic and 
> > Hebrew, Ruby text for Japanese, for example. YS concurred and said 
> > he would add something to that effect.
> >
> >
> > - We discussed "Usage Case: Running Server Software in Multilingual 
> > Environment"
> > (http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqMultilangServer)
> >
> > The consensus was that the section was probably not specific enough 
> > and could use more specific examples.
> > RI also mentioned that some of the aspects approached by the text 
> > were more linked to Web Services internationalization than ITS. ITS 
> > being text specific not concern with machine to machine messaging, 
> > something more in the realm of the Core WG and its "Requirements for 
> > the Internationalization of Web Services"
> > (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-i18n-req-20041116/).
> >
> > CL noted that having example of ITS used in Web-service-related XML 
> > format would help the reader to make the connection. YS said he 
> > would try to come up with examples.
> >
> >
> > - We discussed "Requirements related to Entities"
> > (http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqEntities)
> >
> > YS asked if it was ready to be labeled a Working Draft. AZ mentioned 
> > his concern about the limitation introduced in the wording of the 
> > last paragraph of the Notes. CL will fix it (done).
> >
> > TF and CL talked about DocBook and SunBook and CL mentioned that it 
> > would be good to have thoughts of someone like Norm Walsh.
> >
> > CL asked if we could circulate a working draft among other people. 
> > RI mentioned his concern about IPR (getting feedback from someone 
> > who would not be under IPR agreement). Circulating within the 
> > organization of each member of the WG should be OK.
> >
> > RI to ask about how to handle feedback from non-members at the 
> > appropriate W3C contact.
> >
> >
> > - We discussed "Term Identification"
> > (http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification)
> >
> > RI and CL noted that it could be useful to see more of other 
> > solutions.
> > YS ask if it was really need for the requirements.
> > CL to look at example of term identifications mechanisms in existing 
> > markups.
> >
> >
> > - We discussed "Identifying Language/Locale"
> > (http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale)
> >
> > RI mentioned that we need more research here. The GEO group 
> > identifies two type of languages in a document. The term 'primary 
> > language' has also a specific meaning.
> >
> > It would be helpful to read this WD "Authoring Techniques for XHTML 
> > & HTML Internationalization: Specifying the language of content 1.0"
> > (http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html).
> >
> > RI mentioned the example of the Chinese text book for English as an 
> > example. AZ concurred and elaborated on an example of a grammar book 
> > with example in different languages. He also noted that for 
> > automation purposes, in general, it was important to use attribute 
> > in elements rather than other mechanisms.
> >
> > RI noted that ITS can work on how things "ought to be" while GEO is 
> > more trying to make use of what exists.
> > CL proposed to get back to this after we all read the "Authoring 
> > Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization: Specifying the 
> > language of content 1.0" page.
> >
> >
> > - We discussed "CDATA Section"
> > (http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqCDATA)
> >
> > TF noted that while one could use XLIFF as mentioned by CL, that 
> > maybe not always the best solution.
> > RI noted that using consistent methods in general is helpful (e.g. 
> > use of an attribute like 'translate').
> > YS mentioned that we had maybe two aspects: a) CDATA-inherent 
> > issues,
> > b) putting codes in text content (often seen in CDATA, but doable 
> > without it as well).
> >
> >
> >
> > === OTHER BUSINESS:
> >
> > - CL mentioned that the OLIF Consortium had recently published the 
> > version 1.2 of OLIF (Open Lexicon Interchange Format). This version 
> > offers features for lexical/terminological data exchange, lexicon 
> > and terminology management, term extraction, controlled language, 
> > information retrieval, and glossary development. We can see the 
> > specification, etc. on the OLIF Web site: http://www.olif.net
> >
> > - Next teleconference is Apr-28 at 14:00 UTC.
> >
> >
> >
> > === ACTION ITEMS:
> >
> > - RI to look for contact person with Atom.
> >
> > - YS to follow-up in trying to contact Don Day (DITA chair) to see 
> > if anyone in their group could work with ITS.
> >
> > - YS to post the glossary page.
> >
> > - YS to post the wiki process page (adapted from the GEO process).
> >
> > - CL to look at example of term identifications mechanisms in 
> > existing markups.
> >
> > - RI to ask to the appropriate W3C contact how to handle feedback 
> > from non-WG-members.
> >
> > - All who have not done it yet: go to one of the Wiki page (e.g.
> > http://esw.w3.org/topic/itsHowTo) and register as a user. Then send 
> > the user name to Richard so he can add you to the security user list.
> >
> > - Volunteers: to take ownership of one or more requirement and start 
> > to define it more formally.
> >
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -yves
> --
> Tim Foster - Tools Engineer, Software Globalisation 
> http://sunweb.ireland /~timf http://blogs.sun.com/timf 
> http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~timf
>
>
Received on Friday, 22 April 2005 03:27:52 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:44 GMT