W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > April to June 2005

Minutes 2005-04-21: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:22:16 -0600
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <HYDRAKgWRjfXr6nbb3M00002002@hydra.RWS.LOCAL>
Minutes 2005-04-21: ITS teleconference

ATTENDEES:

- RI: Richard Ishida (W3C)
- TF: Tim Foster (Sun)
- CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
- AZ: Andrzej Zydron (Invited Expert)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)

REGRETS:

- MI: Masaki Itagaki (Invited Expert)
- FS: Felix Sasaki (W3C)
- NT: Najib Tounsi (EMI)

AGENDA:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005AprJun/0004.html



=== PREVIOUS ACTION ITEMS:

- RI to look for contact person with Atom.
Not done yet --> action item for next time.

- YS to contact Don Day (DITA chair) to see if anyone in their group could work with ITS.
An email has been sent to Don. No answer yet.
YS to follow up.

- YS to start a glossary page.
YS has started the page, but not posted it yet --> action item for next time.

- YS to post a process page to summarize the wiki steps (adapted from the GEO process).
YS has started the page, but not posted it yet --> action item for next time.

- YS to work on the front matter parts (integrate the ideas put down at the face-to-face meeting for definitions, etc).
Done. See the several items in the "Introduction" section of the Work Items, on the ITS main page
(http://www.w3.org/International/its/#reqdocs)



=== DISCUSSION ON THE REQUIREMENTS:

- We discussed "Usage Scenario: Technical Writer Using an Authoring Tool"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqTechWriter)

YS said he was agreeing with CL comments about the title.
AZ noted that maybe the section could discuss more of the text re-use aspect, which is more and more utilized. CL wondered if maybe
that would be more something for the Entity handling requirement.
TF also wondered if maybe the text was to broad, taking on more than ITS scope.
Wiki comments have been added.
RI mentioned that maybe we could have something related to non-Latin languages illustrating the ned for ITS: bidi markers for Arabic
and Hebrew, Ruby text for Japanese, for example. YS concurred and said he would add something to that effect.


- We discussed "Usage Case: Running Server Software in Multilingual Environment"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqMultilangServer)

The consensus was that the section was probably not specific enough and could use more specific examples.
RI also mentioned that some of the aspects approached by the text were more linked to Web Services internationalization than ITS.
ITS being text specific not concern with machine to machine messaging, something more in the realm of the Core WG and its
"Requirements for the Internationalization of Web Services" (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-i18n-req-20041116/).
CL noted that having example of ITS used in Web-service-related XML format would help the reader to make the connection. YS said he
would try to come up with examples.


- We discussed "Requirements related to Entities"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqEntities)

YS asked if it was ready to be labeled a Working Draft. AZ mentioned his concern about the limitation introduced in the wording of
the last paragraph of the Notes. CL will fix it (done).
TF and CL talked about DocBook and SunBook and CL mentioned that it would be good to have thoughts of someone like Norm Walsh.
CL asked if we could circulate a working draft among other people. RI mentioned his concern about IPR (getting feedback from someone
who would not be under IPR agreement). Circulating within the organization of each member of the WG should be OK.
RI to ask about how to handle feedback from non-members at the appropriate W3C contact. 


- We discussed "Term Identification"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqTermIdentification)

RI and CL noted that it could be useful to see more of other solutions.
YS ask if it was really need for the requirements.
CL to look at example of term identifications mechanisms in existing markups.


- We discussed "Identifying Language/Locale"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqLangLocale)

RI mentioned that we need more research here. The GEO group identifies two type of languages in a document. The term 'primary
language' has also a specific meaning.
It would be helpful to read this WD "Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization: Specifying the language of content
1.0" (http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html).
RI mentioned the example of the Chinese text book for English as an example. AZ concurred and elaborated on an example of a grammar
book with example in different languages. He also noted that for automation purposes, in general, it was important to use attribute
in elements rather than other mechanisms.
RI noted that ITS can work on how things "ought to be" while GEO is more trying to make use of what exists.
CL proposed to get back to this after we all read the "Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization: Specifying the
language of content 1.0" page.


- We discussed "CDATA Section"
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0503ReqCDATA)

TF noted that while one could use XLIFF as mentioned by CL, that maybe not always the best solution.
RI noted that using consistent methods in general is helpful (e.g. use of an attribute like 'translate').
YS mentioned that we had maybe two aspects: a) CDATA-inherent issues, b) putting codes in text content (often seen in CDATA, but
doable without it as well).



=== OTHER BUSINESS:

- CL mentioned that the OLIF Consortium had recently published the version 1.2 of OLIF (Open Lexicon Interchange Format). This
version offers features for lexical/terminological data exchange, lexicon and terminology management, term extraction, controlled
language, information retrieval, and glossary development. We can see the specification, etc. on the OLIF Web site:
http://www.olif.net

- Next teleconference is Apr-28 at 14:00 UTC.



=== ACTION ITEMS:

- RI to look for contact person with Atom.

- YS to follow-up in trying to contact Don Day (DITA chair) to see if anyone in their group could work with ITS.

- YS to post the glossary page.

- YS to post the wiki process page (adapted from the GEO process).

- CL to look at example of term identifications mechanisms in existing markups.

- RI to ask to the appropriate W3C contact how to handle feedback from non-WG-members.

- All who have not done it yet: go to one of the Wiki page (e.g. http://esw.w3.org/topic/itsHowTo) and register as a user. Then send
the user name to Richard so he can add you to the security user list.

- Volunteers: to take ownership of one or more requirement and start to define it more formally.


Cheers,
-yves
Received on Thursday, 21 April 2005 17:22:34 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:44 GMT