Re: Describing other cultural aspects of the content

Masaki Itagaki wrote:

> Basically this requirement is the same as the one in the original
> draft, but I added the issue of writing styles as I discussed in the
> MLs and conference calls. As to the core portion of this requirement,
> it's highly likely that I missed something or am getting something
> wrong. Please post any comments on this.
>

> Masaki

> *Requirement: *
>
> It must be possible to declare more information about content than a
> language/locale for better text parsing and content reusability.
> Aspects that require finer granularity of content specification may
> include script usages, geographical areas, dialects or content
> context. The declaration of such an attribute should be done at the
> beginning of a document. Any content within a document which varies
> from the primary declaration should be labeled appropriately.
>

> *Background :*
>
> In order to successfully and efficiently parse document content, there
> should be more information than a language or a locale. Examples of
> issues are:
>
>            *A language/locale cannot perfectly represent
> orthography*: e.g. “zh-CN” does not stipulate if it’s simplified or
> traditional Chinese. Locale for Yugoslavia does not provide guidance
> as to whether the language should be writeen in Latin or Cyrillic
> scripts.
>
>            *Multiple cultural preferences within one locale*: e.g. In
> Japanese (“ja-JP”), there are two official date formats – Japanese
> emperor date (Wareki) and a standard numeridateat a voice track is in
> the language spoken in German-speaking Switzerland rather than the
> language written there, since one is Schwytzertuutsch (Swiss Germen)
> and the other is very close to but not the same as 'High German'? How
> does one indicate that a piece of content is in 'International
> Spanish'? How does one indicate that this is English as spoken in the
> time of Chaucer?
>
>            *Different writing styles and tones in one language*: e.g.
> Japanese uses a polite style (“Desu/masu tone”) for user guides and a
> formal style (“Da/dearu tone”) for academic and legal content. Italian
> uses an informal style for software help content and a formal style
> for user guides.

Just another example: Diffrence in word or character.
- In Arabic, most middle-east countries use indic-digits while western
countries (e.g. north Africa) use latin digits.
- Months (..., mai, june ...) also have different names.  In morocco,
for April, we write "ABRIL" pronouced abril, in middle-east they write
"NISSAN" pronounced nissan.
Here is an example from the newspaper  Asharq Alawsat
http://www.aawsat.com/view/
date
where you have (from left to right)  "2005 (NISSAN) ABRIL..."
The less used month name NISSAN is between parenthesis .

Translating from English to Arabic a translator should distinguish ar-MA
from ar-EG.

Najib

--
Najib TOUNSI (mailto:tounsi@w3.org)