From: public-i18n-its-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-i18n-its-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Masaki Itagaki
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 7:14 AM
To: public-i18n-its@w3.org
Subject: RE: draft requirement related to 'purpose
specification/mapping'

This is really an interesting approach, and I'm curious about how the
discussion went in the F2F meeting. To me, this sounds like an "element
override" for the purpose of I18N. I instantly imagined if this is
applicable to other ITSs, such as term identification. Suppose that an
original document has the following:

You can define multiple computation IDs for one company in the <index
sortstr="currency restatement">Currency Restatement</index> program

Now when you wish the index element to serve as a terminology data, you
could specify it as:
<its:purposeSpec>
	<servesPurpose origVoc="index" its="term"/>
</its:purposeSpec>

If I understood your requirement correctly, this should be something you
could do with it. During our discussion over term identification, we
talked
about an issue of an element that serves two different purposes (like
and term). The purpose specification may be one solution for it. Now
when
you specify a different purpose ("term" in the sample above), you might
want
to either carry over existing attributes (e.g. "sortstr" in the sample
above") or introduce new attributes (like "POS", "termType"). We don't
need
to discuss too much detail about implementation here, but do you see
some
ways to handle attributes of old/new elements in this solution?

Masaki Itagaki