RE: [xliff] ITS: Preserve space and Language Information

Hi David, all,

While in some cases (like multiple spaces between sentences) using <ignorable> with xml:space could be a solution, that can’t solve all use cases, and, as pointed out, that will cause trouble when re-segmenting.

The other solution (using inline codes to store spans of white-spaces) looks like asking for troubles: The main reason for such complicated option would be because xml:space can’t be set in <mrk>. It would also not solve the xml:lang case. In general we do not want to encourage using more inline codes.

I think the simplest and most comprehensive solution is to have its:space and its:lang defined and behaving just like xml:space and xml:lang, but with the sm-specific scope. That doesn’t preclude anyone to use the other options if they really want to go that road.

It simply means that if you want to handle Preserve Space or Language Information at the inline level, you have to support that part of the ITS module (which is really not complicated when you already have to handle xml:space and xml:lang for the Core). That means one cannot guarantee those features will be preserved by Core-only processors. But it’s already the case in 2.0.

Cheers,

-yves