Re: Relation between MQM and ITS localization quality - rethought

Hi Arle, all,
a few points on this very interesting thread:

1) +1 on Felix's question about where this work continues. The loss of
work and resources from the web and EC project wrap up, people move on,
domain names lapse etc was a big issue at LREC the week before last.
Linking this to ongoing work at OASIS or W3C helps both with consensus
building and with persistent archiving of output.

2) its great that ITS2.0 is recommended as the transport mechanism for MQM:
http://www.qt21.eu/mqm-definition/definition-2014-06-04.html#mqm_markup
and you have a mapping defined:
http://www.qt21.eu/mqm-definition/definition-2014-06-04.html#relationship-its
but I'm still unclear of the role of the mqm namespace tags for
annotation. In the example you have in section 7.2 the mqm data
attributes seem to convey the same info at the ITS LQI ones, especially
if you used its:locQualityProfileRef to identify the MQM typers as you
suggest and if the severity mapping is defined. While I can see the
duplication is helpful from a flexibility point of view, it is a barrier
to interoperability.  Perhaps the ITS IG could help with further ITS
examples that could also be used for testing?

3) Had you considered using RDF for the MQM declaration language, rather
than the XML format you propose. Some advantages I see are:

  * owl subclass give you a more formal method for defining new metrics
    in terms of existing ones, including defining composite metrics
    through multiple superclasses (though you might want to avoid that
    complexity).
  * It can handle display labels nicely, including in multiple languages
    (as already used in vocabularies like DCAT).
  * There's existing support for versioning elements of definitions - so
    you don't have to build that from the ground up.
  * There's good support for documenting mapping, starting with
    owl:sameas to handle the mappings to SAE J2450, DQF etc.
  * We are working with lots of linked data experts in the LD4LT and
    BPMLOD community group who could advise on best practice.

Let me know what you think?

cheers,
Dave