From: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:39:12 -0600
To: <public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org>

Reposting in the right mailing list this time.

I had the action item to look at SKOS

SKOS is expressed using RDF, and the specification uses the Turtle notation

The Turtle notation (as far as I understand) should be convertible to an RDF/XML corresponding notation.

There are ways to annotate a Turtle string with a language identifier:

<Color> skos:prefLabel "color"@en , "color"@en-US , "colour"@en-GB .

But, as far as I can tell, it is not possible to have in-string tags to annotate the text itself, for example with bidi markers. I
suppose the case of Bidi can be resolved with the Unicode Bidi characters. But other in-line annotation would not be possible.

I have also noted an example in section 6.5.4 (Example 23: <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080829/#L2655
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080829/> >) that shows some creative way of using the language tags, which I'm not
sure should be encouraged.

Aside from labels and documentation/description I didn't noticed any language-specific content in SKOS.

>From the ITS viewpoint, I didn't see anything other than the two issues above. But it seems they should be addressed at the level of
RDF and Turtle rather than SKOS.