Re: Streaming ITS processor

From: Asgeir Frimannsson <asgeirf@redhat.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:33:36 +1000
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Cc: public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org

Felix, Jirka, all,

On Saturday 14 June 2008 01:43:02 Felix Sasaki wrote:
> > Reading through the ITS spec, it seems like ITS only uses a subset of
> > xpath, limited to the child and attribute axes (same as xslt patterns).
>
> in XSLT patterns you can have predicates, like "*[predicate]" , which
> can make use of any axis. Would you limit the content of these too?

This would make streaming-implementations slightly more complicated yes :)
Thank you both for pointing out this issue.

I guess for many (if not most) formats, limiting the content of predicates
would be feasible, and this would also speed up the xpath processing. Creating
a streaming-like ITS processor that could handle "most documents" in a more
efficient manner could perhaps be a useful alternative to a memory-intensive
processor that can handle all documents...

cheers,
asgeir