Re: ITS rules for OpenDocument

From: Rodolfo M. Raya <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:48:30 -0300
To: public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:06:24 +0900
Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi Yves, all,
> I spent some time on OOXML. See
> http://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/ITS_Translate_Decorator#Example_usage_for_OOXML_documents
> With the example file I had it was easy to identify all translatable
> text. However the XLIFF chunks I generated are not very useful without
> information about text flow, that is "Elements within Text".
> Nevertheless, comments very welcome.

Hi Felix,

I looked at the files in the link and found these issues:

1) The .docx file linked in the page can't be opened with Office 2007.
It says that a pre-release version of Office was used to generate the
file and it is invalid. I also tried to open it with OpenOffice and
failed (I have Novell's version which supports OOXML). Nevertheless, I
successfully opened it with Oxygen 9.3 and was able to check its

2) The XLIFF file you generated uses has the "xl" namespace in all
elements. That's a kind of  "bad practice". The XLIFF namespace should
be the default one and XLIFF elements should not have a namespace

3) The segmentation applied to the OOXML file for producing the XLIFF
is wrong. You did not consider the internal format of OOXML files for
enclosing formatting information.  I placed an alternative XLIFF file
for your sample OOXML file,  with segmentation that considers inline
markup, at:

Rodolfo M. Raya <rmraya@maxprograms.com>