W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org > July 2008

[I18N ITS IG] 2008-05-27 minutes (was: Re: ITS IG Teleconf - Tuesday Jun-24-2008 14:00 UTC)

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:42:11 +0900
Message-ID: <4869EDE3.40608@w3.org>
To: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>
CC: 'Asgeir Frimannsson' <asgeirf@redhat.com>, public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org

Yves Savourel さんは書きました:
>> Did anyone record minutes or save the IRC-log from this meeting?
> Yes, the minutes are here:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/06/24-i18nits-minutes.html
and below cleaned up and as text. Sorry for the delay.



[1] http://www.w3.org/


24 Jun 2008


[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2008Jun/0025.html

See also: [3]IRC log

[3] http://www.w3.org/2008/06/24-i18nits-irc


Yves, Najib, Camil, ingo, rodolfo, Jirka, Felix

Asgeir, Robert




* [4]Topics
1. [5]action items
2. [6]ITS Processor API
3. [7]ITS Streaming processor
4. [8]local way of specifying inline elements
5. [9]ITS Processor with XSLT
6. [10]ITS-oriented reviews of new XML specifications
7. [11]ITS Rules repository
8. [12]AOB
* [13]Summary of Action Items

action items

Felix and Yves to compare their implemntations - ongoing



Yves: same programing approach in both implementations, different
from streaming
... we use DOM and decorate the tree

Felix: agree, should look into how to merge the code

Rodolfo: looking forward to XLIFF export filter

Yves: will continue work on that

(discussion on user defined data in DOM)

rodolfo: use libraries like jdom or dom4j which allow you to deal
with parser independent information

<scribe> ACTION: Yves to post java code to the list [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-73 - Post java code to the list [on Yves
Savourel - due 2008-07-01].

rodolfo: if you deal with large files you need a lot of memory
... propose to look into SAX handlers

Yves: agree, related to ITS streaming topic

Felix: thanks for the feedback. Probably we need an additional
mechanism than the selector attribute that fits to SAX processing

Yves: keep the AI open

Next AI - Access module review



Felix: don't think that we need a review, see mail

Yves: agree

Rodolfo: would be better to use an URL/URI

(comment about the API)

close AI 2, Next AI 3 - Felix to work on usage of ITS in SVG Tiny

Felix: pending, waiting for the SVG Tiny schema

action A4 - Felix will bring Atom case to i18n core

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - A4

<scribe> pending as well

ITS Processor API

discussed during AI discussion

ITS Streaming processor



Rodolfo: what is the reasonable size of documents?

Yves: daily work: 2, 3 MByte files

Rodolfo: for that size DOM should be fine

Yves: without pointer attributes you might be fine with simplified
XPath expression

Rodolfo: saxon is very common
... provides XPath support for SAX engine

Yves: what are the limitations of XPath expressions here?

Rodolfo: don't know

<scribe> ACTION: Felix to look into XPath expressivity in SAX engine
of saxon [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-74 - Look into XPath expressivity in SAX
engine of saxon [on Felix Sasaki - due 2008-07-01].

local way of specifying inline elements

Ingo describes the topic

Yves: Ingo, could you provide a use case?

Ingo: will look into that

<scribe> ACTION: Ingo to put together a use case for the local
"Elements within Text" usage [recorded in

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Ingo

ITS Processor with XSLT




[21] http://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/ITS_Translate_Decorator


[22] http://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/ITS_Translate_Decorator

<Jirka2> hi, I'm sorry for being late. Should I make call now or are
you already finished with callM

Camille: understand the explanation. Doing a lot of XSLT processing
... for little projects we do that, for bigger projects we may use

Yves: Felix will be happy about input on XSLT implementation. One
issue was if XSLT 2.0 is OK

Camille: problem with XSLT 2.0 is the low number of processors, and
grammar is a bit more complex than 1.0

Felix: many thanks for the feedback, if you have time to run this it
would be great

Yves: next steps, see " Further development" section

Felix: sorry, can't give a timeline yet

ITS-oriented reviews of new XML specifications


[23] http://www.w3.org/TR/#last-call

Felix: volunteer to look into XSD

<scribe> ACTION: Felix to look into XSD 1.1 [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-75 - Look into XSD 1.1 [on Felix Sasaki -
due 2008-07-01].

Jirka: look into SSML

<scribe> ACTION: Jirka to look into SSML 1.1 [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-76 - Look into SSML 1.1 [on Jirka Kosek -
due 2008-07-01].

ITS Rules repository

Felix: would be great to have somebody looking into ODF

Yves: good idea, but huge task
... if you have time to look into ODF, please have a look

<rmraya> what about OOXML?

<scribe> ACTION: Everybody to look into ITS usage in ODF [recorded
in [26]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/24-i18nits-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Everybody

rodolfo: ODF has a lot of elements, but e.g. mostly one element for
inline (span)
... how about OOXML?

Yves: good point, but it's quite different to ODF
... also a good candidate to look at


ingo: additional data category to handle context?

Yves: like information to be displayed, but not a note?

Ingo: yes

Yves: good idea, can you make a use case?

Ingo: ok

Yves: any AOB?

Camille: someone complained about docbook, no ruby markup support,
ongoing topic on docbook
... jirka mentioned i18n of docbook, i18n might be integrated into
main schema

Yves: adjourn this meeting, next call July 22nd

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Everybody to look into ITS usage in ODF [recorded in
[NEW] ACTION: Felix to look into XPath expressivity in SAX engine of
saxon [recorded in
[NEW] ACTION: Felix to look into XSD 1.1 [recorded in
[NEW] ACTION: Ingo to put together a use case for the local
"Elements within Text" usage [recorded in
[NEW] ACTION: Jirka to look into SSML 1.1 [recorded in
[NEW] ACTION: Yves to post java code to the list [recorded in

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [33]scribe.perl version 1.133
([34]CVS log)
$Date: 2008/06/24 14:54:09 $

[33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
[34] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

> Cheers,
> -yves
Received on Tuesday, 1 July 2008 08:43:09 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 18:33:00 GMT