Re: Comments on Nov-14 WD for ITS IG

Yves,

Thanks for this welcome comment. I just created a little POWDER doc with
some multi-lingual elements [1] as a test example. I would add
<displaytext> to your list of elements that should support localisation.
It validates just fine - there's no reason for it not to - but I and the
others responsible for building our demo processors may have to do a bit
of work. If I run a query through my own processor [2] then the tags are
reproduced but they've lost their xml:lang attributes (bad). The second
displaytext element has gone altogether. This follows from a line in the
DR doc [3] that says: "Since a DR can contain any number of
descriptorset elements and therefore any number of displaytext and
displayicon elements, exactly how, or whether, these are displayed is up
to the application. As a result, DR publishers are strongly advised to
include no more than one displaytext and displayicon per DR."

We'll need to change that slightly to take account of localisation to
something like:

Since a DR can contain any number of descriptorset elements and
therefore any number of displaytext and displayicon elements, exactly
how, or whether, these are displayed is up to the application. As a
result, DR publishers are strongly advised to include no more than one
displaytext and displayicon per DR except where different language
versions are provided and identified using an xml:lang attribute.

We're very restrictive on attributes and child elements from other
namespaces in several places, notably the IRI set definitions, as it's
important to keep the semantics under control. However, all the textual
elements are essentially annotations and so need not be restricted.

Thanks for your help!

Phil.

[1] http://philarcher.org/powder_examples/multilang.xml
[2]