From: bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com [mailto:bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 8:40 PM
To: yves@opentag.com; xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: ITS decorated documents and XLIFF

Hi Yves,

Nice to hear form you again.

/*  I am cc'ing the XLIFF list because your request kind of dove-tails into an action item on our wiki.  I am signed up to (finally)
update my xliffRoundTrip tool to do a number of things (like work with XLIFF 1.2, toggle between creating minimalist or maximalist
XLIFF, handle namespaces more robustly, etc.). My hope is that this note might coax those of us on the XLIFF TC who were interested
in updates to start thinking about it again. */

Thank you for letting me know about ITS IG's work on the 'ITS decorated XML document' scripts.  This looks really cool.  And thank
you for letting me know about your vision for a downstream application that takes decorated files and runs them through an XLIFF
roundtrip cycle (did I get that right?).

As for your question about whether I could adapt my xliffRoundTrip Tool to fill that role:

> We were wondering about the possibilities about having some "be
> sensitive against ITS decorations" switch in your XLIFF roundtripping
> tool to work from such document?

Answer: Absolutely!

I began to answer this by saying the pending improvements for the new version of xliffRoundTrip Tool would automatically do the
trick (i.e., namespace handling, XLIFF 1.2 upgrade). But I see that an actual ITS switch would be required (i.e., don't treat the
<its:rules> as eligible for XLIFF'ization, among other things).

I think it would be easy for me to add a "be sensitive against ITS decorations" switch.

I ran the http://www.w3.org/International/its/its-translate-decorator/example/its-decorated2.xml file (I assume this is a good
sample).  And the results were not all that bad. It gave me some good ideas about how to get started.

But I think it would be best if you, or the ITS IG could give me a list of requirements for the ITS switch.  I will be happy to add
this.

If all goes well, I could have a window in October where I plan to update my xliffRoundTrip Tool. I'm doing a *cousin* tool to
specifically perform DITA/XLIFF roundtrips (open source - under a separate Apache license). Similar concept - all new code.

Thanks,

Bryan