Re: i18n-ISSUE-407: Clarification of initial letter example

On 27/01/15 11:11 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> I have some concerns about the bottom alignment point. text-after-edge
> is very problematic, as it is not visible but depends only on the value
> of the descent metric. This also varies dramatically between fonts. The
> descent in Chandas is more than twice that of Noto Sans Devangari. I've
> mocked up an example that shows what happens when switching between
> these two fonts [1].

It's also worth noting that positioning may push a mark glyph beyond the
font vertical metrics limits, e.g. below vertically stacked conjunct
ligatures. While this results in clipping in some software, in other
places it can result in the mark overlapping and obscuring the line below.

JH