Re: Role of the font in deciding the cluster boundaries

Thanks Richard for the detailed explanation on the difference between
grapheme clusters and graphemes. I have gone over you material at
http://rishida.net/docs/unicode-tutorial/part3#graphemes as well. That is
wonderful tutorial with many examples to make things clearer.

Now it feels like we need to come up with something in between graphemes
and grapheme clusters. Let me call it Explicit graphemes. It is a sub-unit
of a grapheme cluster. It can be either same as the grapheme cluster or
smaller than that. It's boundary inside a grapheme cluster is decided by an
explicit virama in its shaping.

Going thru your examples:

   1. two explicit grapheme: H-I-ANUSVARA, D-II
   2. two explicit grapheme: H-I, N-D-II
   3. three explicit grapheme: P, L-Y-AA, TTA
   4. (I don't have enough experience on Myanmar)
   5. two explicit grapheme: B-AA-ANUSVARA, L-AA
   6. five explicit grapheme: VISARGA, J-I, R-AA, K, S

Now each of the properties we consider - letter-spacing, first-letter
highlighting etc. - has to fall into one these 3 buckets.

Here is my straw man assignments to some of those properties:

Grapheme clusters: first letter highlighting
Explicit graphemes: letter spacing, vertical units
Graphemes: unfortunately I don't see any properties going here

BTW, so far I don't see any need for special treatment for Malayalam.