Letter spacing in Indic scripts

Script like Devanagari has "Shirorekha" (top bar/line), normally space is
used only after a word, i.e. wordspace. No letter spacing is used normally.
Only in some cases where the text is designed specially curved or
vertically written, letter spacing needs to be used. In all text
editing/designing/DTP softwares letter spacing or character spacing has to
be set off for scripts like Devanagari.  In case of letter spacing is used,
it is natural that Shirorekha will appear cut-off. But in no case the
maatra (dependent vowel) or conjunct characters should appear as separated
by space.

It may be very complex to set syllable rules for such rendering.

हरिराम
प्रगत भारत <http://hariraama.blogspot.com>