Re: Feedback Required on CSS 2.1 & CSS 3.0 Issues in Indian Languages

Hi John,

On 10/07/2013 19:32, John Hudson wrote:
> On 10/07/13 6:55 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
>
>> I put together some tests related to first-letter support. You can find
>> them, and results for several browsers at
>> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/html5/css3-selectors-first-letter/results-first-letter
>>

> Thanks, Richard. These are very helpful tests.
>
> You write on the test site
>
>      None of the browsers support selection of conjoined
>      consonants. These are basic units in indic scripts, and
>      all component characters need to be highlighted together,
>      but this goes beyond the definition of a grapheme cluster
>      in the Unicode Standard.
>
> It does? Perhaps because I'm coming at this from the font display and
> Indic glyph processing side, I'm used to thinking in terms of the
> graphic syllable (which does not always correspond to the linguistic
> syllable) as the core unit of Indian writing, and presumed that this
> corresponded to the grapheme cluster. Indeed, we regularly use the term
> cluster as a synonym for graphic syllable.

'Grapheme clusters' in the Unicode definition of the phrase, include
only the base character and the virama in a conjunct sequence,
unfortunately.  It's something I asked about a long time ago, and Mark
Davis gave me a reason, of which I have now forgotten the details. I
think it would be worth reinvestigating at some point though.

> Isolating the sequence of characters that make up a graphic syllable is
> a standard first step in Indic layout; in the OpenType model, this is
> performed by the external layout engine. It seems to me that the same
> models -- indeed, the same code? -- could be applied fairly easily to
> selecting 'first-letter' groups in browser support for CSS3 Selectors.

Yes, that does indeed sound worth considering, and perhaps suggesting to
the authors of the selectors spec.

RI

--
Richard Ishida, W3C