Re: Feedback Required on CSS 2.1 & CSS 3.0 Issues in Indian Languages

On 10/07/13 6:55 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:

> I put together some tests related to first-letter support. You can find
> them, and results for several browsers at
> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/html5/css3-selectors-first-letter/results-first-letter

Thanks, Richard. These are very helpful tests.

You write on the test site

 None of the browsers support selection of conjoined
 consonants. These are basic units in indic scripts, and
 all component characters need to be highlighted together,
 but this goes beyond the definition of a grapheme cluster
 in the Unicode Standard.

It does? Perhaps because I'm coming at this from the font display and
Indic glyph processing side, I'm used to thinking in terms of the
graphic syllable (which does not always correspond to the linguistic
syllable) as the core unit of Indian writing, and presumed that this
corresponded to the grapheme cluster. Indeed, we regularly use the term
cluster as a synonym for graphic syllable.

Isolating the sequence of characters that make up a graphic syllable is
a standard first step in Indic layout; in the OpenType model, this is
performed by the external layout engine. It seems to me that the same
models -- indeed, the same code? -- could be applied fairly easily to
selecting 'first-letter' groups in browser support for CSS3 Selectors.

JH