Re: [css3-text] New Working Draft

On 04/24/2011 10:22 PM, Somnath Chandra wrote:
> Dear All ,
>
> *W3C India* is currently consolidating the Indic Languages requirements (including the earlier results) for CSS standard in
> consultations with all stake holders including the publishing industry in India. The latest document on the CSS requirements
> for Indic Languages  which incorproates detailed test results is available at *http://www.w3cindia.in/cssdocument.html**.
> *The**languages tested are Hindi, Bengali , Marathi, Punjabi , Gujarati , Tamil , Telugu and Malayalam languages.
> All of you are requested to kindly refer and visit _the above link_ for latest CSS Work in India.

Dear Somnath Chandra,
While your document gives many interesting examples, as I have explained before,
it is nearly useless for writing a specification, because it lacks sufficient
detail and specificity.

Let me give you an example:

   # Styling issues like the Horizontal spacing between characters like
   # C E R T I F I C A T E the space is given between the every character
   # in case of English. But in case of Indian language like Bangla,
   # Assamese etc the space may given not in every character but after
   # some portion of the character sequence as in figure below:

This is the only information you have given on the expected effect of
'letter-spacing' on Indic scripts. You explain that it is not like
English, because it is not between every letter.

BUT you do not explain what it is between. Between exactly which pairs
of Unicode characters is letter-spacing allowed? It does not say, but
that is the information that is needed.

Showing examples of what is wrong is interesting, but it does not solve
the problem of what is wrong.

My second point is, I still have no feedback from W3C India on the CSS3
Text draft.

Since it seems that W3C India doesn't understand the concept of giving
feedback on W3C drafts, here are the steps for giving feedback on the
draft.

   1. Read the working draft. You can find it here:
        http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/

Then, for each section of the working draft,

   2. Try to understand the text of the working draft. If it does not
      make sense, read it a few more times. Consider also reading the
      documents linked from <http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Specs/Read>,
      which form the technical foundations of the CSS specifications.
      If the working draft still does not make sense, ask questions on
      the www-style mailing list.

   3. Consider how each section of the working draft applies to Indic
      documents.

   4. If it seems that the text in the working draft is either wrong or
      incomplete in its information of how to handle Indic scripts,
      send a message to www-style@w3.org explaining
        a) how the text is wrong or incomplete
        b) what the text should say instead

   5. If there are questions (marked as Issues in red) that apply to
      the interaction with Indic scripts, send answers and any relevant
      background information to www-style@w3.org.

I hope that those instructions are clear. If they are not clear, please
let me know exactly which parts are unclear, and I will try to explain
in more detail.

~fantasai