W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > March 2006

Minutes 2006-03-29: GEO telecon

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:49:52 +0100
To: "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Message-ID: <00a001c65409$3415ca80$6501a8c0@w3cishida>

See http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html




Text version follows:


                              GEO telecon

29 Mar 2006

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Richard Ishida, David Clarke, Russ Rolfe, Molly Holzschlag
          (IRC), Najib Tounsi (IRC)

   Regrets
          None

   Chair
          Richard

   Scribe
          David

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Infoshare
         2. [5]subject-predicate or topic-comment?
         3. [6]related links section simplification?
         4. [7]any comments on new techniques index ?
         5. [8]Language declaration techniques doc
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

Infoshare

   <scribe> Any info to share?

   UniView new version New features...

   [10]http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/descn

     [10] http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/descn

   [11]http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=51

     [11] http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=51

   <scribe> Richard: gives view of block and links eache character to
   relevant wiki...

   <scribe> Russ: how do you save it?

   [12]http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/?block=greek-and-co
   ptic&char=0e33

     [12] http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/?block=greek-and-coptic&char=0e33

   <scribe> Richard: shows example block...

   <scribe> Richard: making uinview a proper Ajax app..

   <scribe> IPA picker improvements:

   [13]http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/pickers/ipa/

     [13] http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/pickers/ipa/

   [14]http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=50

     [14] http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=50

   <scribe> Richard: Created mynmar picker..

   [15]http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/pickers/myanmar/

     [15] http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/pickers/myanmar/

   [16]http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=52

     [16] http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=52

subject-predicate or topic-comment?

   example at
   [17]http://www.w3.org/International/articles/composite-messages/

     [17] http://www.w3.org/International/articles/composite-messages/

   <scribe> Richard: started thinking topic-comment might be better...

   <scribe> russ: please give example

   <scribe> Richard: gives long example...

   <scribe> AGREED: Use topic-comment rather than subject-predicate

related links section simplification?

   example at
   [18]http://www.w3.org/International/articles/composite-messages/

     [18] http://www.w3.org/International/articles/composite-messages/

   <scribe> Richard: background... It has become cumbersome to keep all
   the related docs links up to date...

   <scribe> Richard: Now, proposing a for a more centralised
   appraoch...

   <scribe> see top right of page

   <scribe> russ: Agrees this is useful

   <scribe> Richard: this simplifies translation too.

   <scribe> AGREED: Use this new approach to the related links section,
   ie. one link to the relevant part of the topic index, and one link
   to the techniques index

any comments on new techniques index ?

   [19]http://www.w3.org/International/technique-index

     [19] http://www.w3.org/International/technique-index

   <scribe> russ: Why do we have indented topics?

   <scribe> Richard: Sub topics within others

   <scribe> russ: Will neww users understand?

   <scribe> ACTION: ri, change fonts for sub categories in index
   [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action01]

   <scribe> Russ: As it grows, what about the having links to get back
   to the top, to assist navigation

   <scribe> ACTION: ri, add back to the top icon to each heading
   [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action02]

   najib, you're in the queue, hold on...

   <scribe> russ: layout of this page? is it an new layout?

   <scribe> Richard: it is new, combining resources and outline
   documents...

   <scribe> Richard: prior versions wer generated from existing
   documents...

   <scribe> Richard: this page is created to reduce skipping around,
   for ease of use...

   <scribe> Richard: makes the task related materials better linked to
   best practices and how-to...

   <scribe> Richard: shifts the locus to provide all round benefits

   <molly> Go to this page:
   [22]http://www.w3.org/International/resource-index

     [22] http://www.w3.org/International/resource-index

   <molly> how about an expand all / collapse all feature as in the
   topic index?

   <molly> it brings the topic headers higher in the page, I like that.

   <scribe> David: Expand collapse can be very useful

   <molly> exactly as for the topic index

   <molly> so you see the headers upon collapse, with the details and
   links on expand

   <scribe> russ: no expand indicator such as + - at present. There
   should be

   We all agree with molly's point

   <scribe> ACTION: RI, add + - graphics to topic index [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action03]

   najib's question: Is this page enough stable for translation. Is it
   worth translation?

   <najib> I mean Arabic translation.

   najib, it will never be stable

   <najib> The index could act as a reference portal to important
   materials for International Web authoring community.

   it will continue to develop as new articles are added to the site

   <najib> Is there a stable part to isolate?

   <scribe> Richard: it points ot en docs at present..

   the headings may be more stable, eg. Language , Bidirectional
   text,et.c.

   <najib> Adding is no more a probleme. I can mantains adding. The
   probleme is the text and the presentation layout.

   but there's no guarrantee that they won't change as the material is
   added

   <scribe> david: what about translating for what is available?

   <scribe> Richard: we have few arabic articles at present..

   note, that we don't have many arabic articles to point to - so is it
   worthwhile to translate the index ?

   i think we only have 1 arablc article

   <najib> I can translate the index.

   <najib> I have a new volunteer for arabic translation. I'll
   introduce him to you.

   <scribe> Richard: at present it should be on own site...

   could we add to the moroccan office site ?

   <najib> Oh sure.

   <scribe> Richard: there may be an issue if it is content negotiated

   ok, agreed

   <najib> I don't content negociate. For the moment.

   correct

Language declaration techniques doc

   things to change before publication?

   [24]http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html

     [24] http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html

   i made some changes with change marks

   any comments on those?

   any other comments ?

   we're actually back at the techniques index

   link you need is

   [25]http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/language#primarylangu
   age

     [25] http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/language#primarylanguage

   then expand 'best practises'

   you see some icons there

   <scribe> ACTION: RI, change UA to User Agent [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action04]

   <scribe> russ: should each icon lead to lost the relevant issues..

   <scribe> ACTION: RI, link icons to explanatory text [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action05]

   <scribe> Richard: thought of going to techinques document...

   <scribe> ... but this might get frozen...

   <scribe> ... but it is based on versions of browsers...

   <scribe> russ: won't results document be by version anyway, e.g. if
   there's an IE 6 problem but fixed in IE 7 how should this be
   docuimented?

   [28]http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/lang-and-cjk-font

     [28] http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/lang-and-cjk-font

   <scribe> Richard: two places e.g..

   <scribe> ... and techniques index which is revaluated
   periodically....

   <scribe> ... but we would also have separate results document which
   is more up to date..

   <scribe> ...should it be in 2 places at once?...

   <scribe> Richard: should icons have version number in techniques
   document?

   <scribe> russ: this is good

   <scribe> Richard: but have link to say here is more recent info...

   <scribe> russ: agrees

   <scribe> ACTION: RI, add icons with version numbers on techniques
   document [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action06]

   <scribe> ACTION: RI, put clear link to latest results in techniques
   [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action07]

   <scribe> ACTION: all, please look at techniques document which RI
   will be change [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action08]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: all, please look at techniques document which RI will
   be change [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: RI, add + - graphics to topic index [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: ri, add back to the top icon to each heading [recorded
   in [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: RI, add icons with version numbers on techniques
   document [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: ri, change fonts for sub categories in index [recorded
   in [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: RI, change UA to User Agent [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: RI, link icons to explanatory text [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: RI, put clear link to latest results in techniques
   [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/03/29-i18ngeo-minutes.html#action07]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [40]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([41]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/03/30 14:45:32 $

     [40] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [41] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/
Received on Thursday, 30 March 2006 14:50:00 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:41 GMT